We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Netherlands
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Next month we will stay for a week in Khao Lak. My husband wants to try to buy a handmade suit etc. I have done long searching on this forum to find recommendations for a tailor in Khao Lak, but i didn't find one. I hope someone maybe can help me with the name of a good tailor?

Also i would like to know the do's and don'ts on this subject. Allthough we have travelled several times through Thailand, we have never stayed long enough at the same place to give it try, so any help is very welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Ohh, no-one who can help? This was my first question at this forum, untill now i only tried to give answers and *snif* now i need advise myself it is sooo silent. Help :))

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,378 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

I think silence is because there are probably no tailors in Khao Lak, well not for western hand made suits. Big cities like Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Honk Kong and Singapore are best for that. I had a suit made in Penang and although the material (merino wool) was superb and overall cost was much cheaper than in UK, like many holiday buys, the gloss wears off when you get home and realise that it wasn't quite the bargain you thought it would be. If you are visiting a big city, go for it, if not don't bother. However, when you get to Khao Lak you may find a tailor at the beginning of your stay. It will only take a couple of days from measure to final fit anyway. If you do find one this way, post details on your return as I am going at end of April and will be glad of YOUR recommendations!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,378 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

A bit more information for you from friend in Khao Lak:

"Regarding an inquiry for shopping place in Patong Beach, I believe it call Jungceylon Lifestyle Centre which located in Patong area. Unfortunately they are under construction and plan to have a grand opening in the beginning of this year, but do not have the specific time yet. Once there are any sign from them, I will let you know later on. By the way Patong still be the most interesting place for shopping around here themselves, you can find many of goods, tailor shop (fake designers), jewelry etc. Or for someone who looking for some brand name, currently there are quite huge department store in Phuket which is Central Festival Phuket.

In Khaolak is quite quiet place, but still have a small place for shopping call Khoalak Centre. You can find some souvenirs, goods or tailor shop there as well. Moreover in our resort (Le Meridien) we have some local shop who operate tailor shop, boutique shop etc. But like I said, here is more suitable for the guests who want looking for peaceful vacations."

Hope that helps.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Hi Arandora,

thank you so much for your help and your thoughts about looking for a tailor. Also very nice that you informed with your friend in the leMeridien. My husband has lowered his expectations now in finding lots of tailors. We have been to Khao Lak last december and noticed there is long strip of businesses, but didn't stop there, for we only stayed there for two days and drove further. But we liked the atmosphere and we were very impressed by the rebuilding-signs after the tsunami-disaster, that we wanted to go back and spend money to help at least some local people. Thank you again for breaking the silence :) If you want me to look around for some specific information before you go in Apil i will be glad to try to help you. We will go from march 19 and return april 6 (staying at Banyan Tree/Bangkok, leMeridien Khao Lak and TwinPalms Phuket).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,378 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Thanks. If I have any unanswered questions I'll post on this thread.

england
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Hi am thinking of booking le meridien Khaolak for later in the year would you say this is a good hotel as some people posted on trip adviser that it was not 5 star i mhave 3 children and it seems to have a good club

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Fenny, did you find a decent tailor in Khao Lak?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

fenny..i think bangkok probably has the best tailors in thailand. So if you want to get some clothes tailored, wait till you ge to Bangkok and then do it. Thats what i think.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Hi - I was glad to see I wasn't the only one looking for a tailor in Khoa Lak - someone mentioned a tailor called Monty, still waiting to hear back about that.

If you do find someone would love to know - we are visiting in early Jan.

Thanks

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please advise for a tailor in Khao Lak

Hi there, I don`t know any tailors in Khao Lak. But I can tell you from my experience (from Koh Samui), that it makes no difference to witch tailor you go, because the guys/girls which make your dress are all the same. The tailors just take your measurements and the suits were all made by the same tailors, sitting together in one building.