We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Khao Lak & Phi Phi

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Khao Lak & Phi Phi

Hi,I'm planning a trip to Thailand for the New Year's holiday, and was hoping to get some advice on hotels in Khao Lak and Phi Phi island.

We were considering Le Meridien, Merlin, and Similana in Khao Lak, and were wondering which of these (or others) has the best beach for swimming and snorkelling, and is functional after the tsunami.

Also, I've read that the water in Khao Lak isn't as clear as Phuket, is that true year-round, or just during the rainy season?

As for Phi Phi, we were looking at the Phi Phi Island Village Resort. Any advise about this hotel or others on the island?

How many days would you recommend in Phi Phi? We're planning to spend 6 nights in Khao Lak and 3 at Phi Phi...

THANKS for any advice! The khaolaklovers.com website has been really helpful, by the way. Thanks KarmaTed, it's great that you're encouraging people to return to Khao Lak!

Michelle

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotels in Khao Lak & Phi Phi

HoustonJacket,

We decided to go with the Merlin. The Meridien ended up being too expensive during peak season at $290/night once breakfast and taxes were included. I emailed the Merlin and they offered a lower rate than those listed on their website or anywhere else.

They did say that the neighboring hotels are under construction, but said it wouldn't be too disturbing...we'll see!

Michelle

Houston, Texas
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotels in Khao Lak & Phi Phi

FreezinginWI,

Looks like a good choice. I ran across this link which is helpful for post tsunami info. Enjoy your trip!

thaiairways.com/Royal_Orchid_Holidays/Tsunam…

HoustonJacket

Essex
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotels in Khao Lak & Phi Phi

If i remember rightly there was alot of construction around the Merlin, almost to the point of a building site. All the hotels that we walked into when we were in Khao Lak were willing to drop their prices significantly rather than let us walk away.

kate

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotels in Khao Lak & Phi Phi

The hotels to the north are under construction. The directly adjacent one is the Emerald, and has recently started to rebuild. There is nothing south of the Merlin until the Poseidon, 800 meters away. The Merlin grounds are large. If you are concerned about construction noise, you might ask for a room on the south side of the resort.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotels in Khao Lak & Phi Phi

Update...we went with the Merlin and LOVED it! It was the most beautifully designed resort I have ever seen. Set on a hill leading to the ocean with four pools that look more like a stream with waterfalls flowing throughout the resort.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Food was excellent.

Not the best place to swim though...lots of rocks in the water and definitely no snorkeling, the water is very dark.

Next-door construction not an issue.

Definitely stay at the Merlin if you are going to Khoa Lak. We didn't want to leave!