We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has onayone stayed in La Flora, Khao Lak since the tsunami?

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Has onayone stayed in La Flora, Khao Lak since the tsunami?

It looks from the maps that it was surrounded by lots of other accommodation, and I am wondering if there is now construction work in the area that it may not be in such a desirable location. I am planning on going there in December and wanted any feedback that anyone can give.

thanks

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Has onayone stayed in La Flora, Khao Lak since the tsunami?

Just about everywhere on Nong Thong and Bang Niang Beaches (the main areas around the Khao Lak Town area) is under construction. If you truly want to avoid construction - you might consider the Similana or LeMerdien.

Take a look at Khao Lak Lovers for a little more info on the area.

http://khaolaklovers.com/

Essex
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has onayone stayed in La Flora, Khao Lak since the tsunami?

Keeping an eye on the forums before my trip and there seems to be a lot of concerns cominmg up about Khao Lak. i booked the similana and tedkarma you offered me some good advice on this thank you :) since this i have read comments by phuket richard saying he would never choose to go to Khao Lak etc What are the concerns on the area?? i understand that there will be some construction etc, only natural after the devastation that the tsunami must have caused. other than construction work (which happens whereever you go in the world) is there anything else to be aware of?

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has onayone stayed in La Flora, Khao Lak since the tsunami?

Hi Kermer,

Everybody likes different areas - if you are concerned about construction - no problem as the Similana is set away from just about everything else. It is quite secluded. Even the road in is about two kilometers. Though if you walk down the beach the LeMeridien is about 4-500 meters away.

Personally - it is one of my favorite areas - I love the beaches - great beachcombing - and it is less crowded than Phuket particulary during high season. If you get out and walk the beach early in the morning you will often be the ONLY people there.

Richard lives on the southern tip of Phuket so it is almost another hour for him to get to Khao Lak - for me, from where I live, it takes only about 75 minutes. I'm not sure what his concern is - though I know he loves the southern part of Phuket. And he knows it like the back of his hand - so much its where he chose to live. Conversely - I love the northern beaches on Phuket - so much that I chose to live there. So . . .

I like the feel of Khao Lak as it seem like what Phuket must have been like 20 years ago.

As we say in Thailand, "Up to you".