We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

Hello, I'm going to make my way next month from Chaing Mai to Pai and return a few days later.

Me and my partner (who owns a motorcycle license) were thinking to make our way on a rented bike and return it a few days later.

Is the way between the two "tourist-friendly"? (English signs, gas stops etc)

Is it phisically very hard? Will the weather affect us greatly? Do many people do it?

Will appriciate any advise...

Thank you!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

I'm not clear if you are going to rent a motorcycle or a bicycle? If the latter forget it. As for a motorcycle, it would be a bit dangerous. The trip does not look far on a map but it steep with lots of hairpin curves, and takes much longer than you'd think. Trucks and buses travel a little too fast, accidents are common and as for the right of way and rules of the road - the biggest vehicle has right of way irrespective of circumstances. And why go all the way to Pai and not make an extra effort to visit unique Mae Hong Son?

As far as I can remember there are no gas stations between the mountain entrance in Chiang Mai province and Pai, and between Pai and Mae Hong Son.

Direction signs are in English but some other warning signs are not. Weather would be a big issue from May/June - early December as heavy rains make visibility poor and water rushing off the mountains crosses the road at some points.

bahrain
Level Contributor
36 posts
2. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

i am totaly agree with dragonc ,,, i was there last years in july ,its realy curvy way and danger to be drive on it .

my suggestion is to rent a motorbyic in the pai town only , you will enjoy driving in pai streets and looking to the nature

regard

muneer

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

Thank you two very much. In this case, what will be the best wat to go (in both directions? I heard of mini-buses, are they safe?

And one last thing is frequency, meaning i wish to leave pai in the morning to catch an afternoon flight from Chaing Mai - is that realistic at all?

Appriciate all your help :-)

bahrain
Level Contributor
36 posts
4. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

i was using the minibus from aya company ,, they were ok and the buses are new and comfortable

http://www.ayaservice.com/

they have dealy buses which is leaves from 7:30am to 4:30pm every hours by 150 baht which much cheap

by the way you can rent motorbyic from them too

regard

muneer

5. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, July 22, 2010
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

If you have an afternoon flight then I would skip Pai. Its a long trip each way, and if there are any delays for any reasons (accident blocking the road etc) you might miss your flight.

whitchurch...
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

As an experienced biker of some 30 years and a resident of Pai please allow me to advise.

The road from Chiang Mai to Pai is one of the best bike roads I have ever ridden, but due to it's hill's and twists is only for the more skilled rider with regular and current riding experience.

It is best not to ride this road when the the pillion is heavier than the rider.

Bikes that are suitable for pillion riding available in Chiang Mai are

Honda CB 400/4 - slow, heavy, comfortable.

Kawazaki KR 600 - nimble, fast, great fun, more expensive.

Be aware there is no accident insurance for damage to the bike, fall off you pay, having said that parts and labour are very reasonably priced and the cost of parts should you have the hire company that I am about to recommend do the repairs, are available for you to view before rental.

Recommended POP bike rental. Others - Tonys Big Bikes, Mr Machanic.

Fuel stops on the 1095 from Mae Rim and in fact throughout Thailand are numerous, apart from the many regular petrol stations, just about every other shop will sell you gas by the litre dispensed from plastic coca cola bottles.

For safety and comfort don't ride with your luggage. AYA Travel, which are situated next to Chiang Mai railway station, will take it for you for 150 baht per rucksack which you can pick up at their office in Pai. Carry your valuables in a small day bag.

Take a day trip to Mae Hong Son, the road and the views are amazing look at the temple, the lake, eat lunch, ride back.

The feed back that I get from the many travellers that I speak to say that they wished that they had allocated more time in their itineries to stay in Pai, please keep this in mind.

If I were your partner I would stump up the 1,950 baht for you to fly, it's a fantastic journey in a 10 seater plane, comically called the flying caravan, named not by the locals as you would think, but the manufacturers.

Ride safe, enjoy Pai.

8. Re: Pai to Chaing Mai - on a bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 23, 2011