We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pai for the gourmands

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
118 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Pai for the gourmands

I've read so many stories that Pai is a food heaven. Is there someone who actually knows addresses where you need to go for these heavenly food experiences? And I mean also the not so traditional restaurants you find on the big streets. Maybe I need to go outside Pai ? Anyway I am very curious if food lovers can give me some insights?

Thanks Elles

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pai for the gourmands

Hi Elles

We loved Pai, and we went several times to Charlie and Lek, it is in the same street as the Police Station. Liked to food there, and sooo extremely cheap, around 5 Euro for 4 meals incl. drinks. Very nice staff, and cosy place.

When you google on this name, you will find some photos.

In case you have other questions about Pai or surroundings, pls let me know.

We stayed in Belle Villa Pai, and loved the quiet scenery there.

Have a nice trip,

Kind regards,

Sylvia

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pai for the gourmands

I found Pai so utterly over-run by tourist and fast food restaurants that the range of decent Thai or regional restaurants was reduced to a mere handful - not vey impressedwith what's left either.

I would love someonee to tell me where I can get good thai food there.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
118 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pai for the gourmands

Yes indeed that is what I've heard too, so foodies come out there and tell us where to go!!!!

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pai for the gourmands

THe sad thing about Pai is that apart from the foreigners it has become a fashionable week-end destination for the Chiang Mai and Bkk middle-class Thais - and what do they like to eat? japanese Korean or Western Style fast food!

London, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pai for the gourmands

Hi

I went to Pai back in August 2006 so I am not sure if things have changed a lot.

But I had 2 wonderful experiences:

Nah's Kitchen - Very nice and simple restaurant. Nah will cook anything for you. Best Pad Thai I ever had. I asked where I could find a traditional Thai desert that I could not see on the menu. She cooked for me on the spot and aslo showed me how to cook and even wrote the ingredients in English and Thai so I could go to the local shop and buy them all! Great service and great food and really cheap. At the time, dinner for 2 with starters, mains and desert plus drinks came to a total of 210 Baht.

The other 'bizarre' experience was on my last day in Pai and I decided to have something quick before leaving. I stopped at a place on the corner of the main street... it had lots of locals. I sat down.. and all the locals stood up. I had some really nice food. Only at the end I realised that it was the taxi rank (motorbike). But the food was delicious.

Enjoy Pai!

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pai for the gourmands

To say Pai has changed a lot since then would be a gross understatement! I doubt you'd recognise the place.

Since 2006 Pai has been featured in a couple of famous Thai movies and has become "the" place for Thai people to go, especially to escape the hot weather or rather experience cool weather - they all like to buy gloves and scarves for the occasion

pai thailand
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pai for the gourmands

BAAN BEEN JARONG has been mentioned as one of the best thai restaurant in thailand and its in pai, you need to go early though as its very busy and reasonable priced.

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pai for the gourmands

I think you'll find that there are plenty of opportunities for gourmands in Pai but for gourmets the opportunities are few and far.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
118 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pai for the gourmands

Well after 2 weeks Thailand, we are back.

This is my information on Pai:

Sleeping: Pai Country side

Country side is a fantastic small resort set up by a Thai and Dutch couple. Believe me, Dutch people know how to build nice, stable and practical houses. The bungalows at Countryside are a wonderful example of a creative and practical mind.

The resort has by far the best location nearby town and by far the nicest gardens and views. Tip, the manager is a happy and helpful lady who speaks fluent English and has many good ideas what to do in and around Pai. We really loved our stay at Countryside and wished we could have stayed longer. The little swimming pool is a nice bonus and a great way to cool of during a hot day (the water is refreshingly cold).

The bungalows come in different prices. Some are with airco (a very silent one) and others are without. The prices they ask are very reasonable. Value for money!

The best food on all our Asian trips, we ate in Pai. On the right hand side of the gas station you will find a restaurant called Baan Benjarong. I highly recommend this place. The owner is a bit weird. He is not unfriendly, but a bit grumpy, but the food is just out of this world. Fantastic authentic special food, wow!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pai for the gourmands

Thanks for reporting back, great to here Pai is still a worthwhile destination.

What were some of the more interesting "ideas (of) what to do in and around Pai" from Tip?