We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Around New Years

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Around New Years

Hey Everybody,

I was thinking of visiting the islands in Thailand during the 2014/2015 New Years period. My current plan is to do something along the lines of arriving in Bangkok, and taking a bus + lomprayah to Koh Tao followed by doing 3-4 day PADI diving course. After this, I would go to Koh Phagnan to enjoy the New Years Full Moon party. Some questions I wanted to ask was:

1) Would it be better to base myself in Koh Phagnan than Koh Tao at that time of the year for diving?

2) From people who have done this before, would it be better to go diving in Koh Tao AFTER the full moon party or before it?

3) Could anybody recommend me any good diving schools in the area?

Any help would be great! Thanks so much!

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Around New Years

Hi there,

New Years is a very fun & lively time to be in the gulf islands. It is VERY busy though, so we'd highly recommend booking both accommodation, and even your dive course in advance to avoid any disappointment. It would also be advisable to book your ferry tickets between the islands in advance as ferries easily become booked up and oversubscribed at that time of year. With reference to your specific questions please see below:

1) There is no point staying on Phangah for diving, Koh Tao is the place to be for that. Koh Phangan has very limited dive sites, and the best ones are not always suitable for beginners.

2) We get a peak of diving activities in both the week leading up to, and the week following FMP. However, if I was in your shoes I'd probably go with diving before if I could. FMPs can get messy, and although the chances of injuring yourself are low if you are sensible (for starters avoid the burning fire ropes, and ensure you wear flip flops/shoes to avoid broken glass), there is always the distinct possibility! So getting the diving out of the way first to ensure you don't miss out is a good idea.

3) There are scores of dive centres to choose from on Koh Tao. The best one for you will depend on where you want to be based on the island (Sairee is the busiest village), and what you want out of your course in terms of group sizes, boat type etc. Here you will find the TA rankings and reviews of Koh Tao activities to help you choose. The best advice is to narrow it down to a few you like, and email them so you get a good feel for the company prior to parting with any money:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g303910-Activiti…

Happy travel planning :)

2. Re: Visiting Around New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 21, 2015