We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lazy days ko tao

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Lazy days ko tao

Hey guys,

My boyfriend and I are going to ko Tao in a couple of days. We're up at the Burmese border at the mo. We fancy some nice relaxing days on a beach. We won't dive, want nice sand, a hut on the beach please! Any suggestions please? No need to be near party but some food places would be good. Don't think we want to spend more than about 1000 bath a night but I still fancy an okay ish place with nice bathroom. Any good suggestions please? Or what beach is best for relaxing and I can try to find a place myself. Help much appreciated!

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lazy days ko tao

The East coat of the island is still quite windy, so we'd avoid the resorts and beaches there - its likely to be choppier, potentially with litter washed up on shore and with more limited visibility conditions for snorkelling/swimming.

Somewhere like Freedom Beach sounds good for you. It's just past Chalok, which is the islands quietest village, but still plenty options for food and drinks. The beach itself is tree lined in parts so you have easy access to both sun and shade, and there's a chilled out restaurant where you can get food and refreshments.

Hope that helps, happy holidays :)

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lazy days ko tao

Tanote Bay could be another good choice for you. With your budget have a look at Family Tanote Resort.

Enjoy Koh Tao

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lazy days ko tao

Hi

If as GTA says the weather isn't that great on the east, then I'd agree with the suggestion of Freedom/Chalok or anywhere around the south west coast. You'll be able to find bungalow type accommodation once there.

Safe and happy travels

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lazy days ko tao

Thank you guys! So weather is bad on east cost? Is that the same koh pangang too? Is west coast of Thailand better this year?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lazy days ko tao

The east coast of Koh Tao not the east coast of Thailand.

Safe and happy travels

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lazy days ko tao

Hi again,

Yes, as Lynds says, we are talking about the Eastern side of the island, not Thailand itself as a whole. Basically from November 'til around the end of February the monsoon wind blows from the North East, meaning it it much more wavy on the East coast of Koh Tao than the West. This is true of Samui and Phangan too. But please bear in mind its just wind - our monsoon is long over and the conditions here and there are still plenty of lovely bays and beaches which do not face into that wind. You may find that during your stay you'd like to take a trip to one of the East coast beaches such as Tanote or Aow Leuk, but for optimum conditions and enjoyment you are best off avoiding staying on that side for the whole time.

Hope that clarifies things a bit :)

7. Re: Lazy days ko tao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 05, 2015