We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving internship advice

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba diving internship advice

I am planning on doing a scuba diving internship as far as open water instructor level and am hoping to work in Thailand as an instructor if all goes well. I have done the open water course but that's all so far. Realistically it'll be a year to a year and a half before I have sufficient funds saved up but I'll like to so some research and plan ahead.

Can anyone tell me the best dive schools to do this? I've been reading about simple life divers, they offer a 7 month course with accommodation for 274000 baht. Has anyone dived with these before? Are they good and is the accommodation good?

Or if anyone can recommend any other good dive shops, I'd be interested to hear about. If you know the cost, what it includes(equipment, accommodation etc). Any info at all would be appreciated. I'd prefer to stay around sairee beach.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

Hi there,

Every dive centre will offer a range of different options starting from the basic courses you need, and some options with add ons like a set of equipment, accommodation included, specialty courses etc

To be honest as you are investing so much time - and money - into this venture, I wouldn't worry about organising too much this far ahead of time. Prices/course requirements etc may well change in the year and a half before you get here. Also, as you are hoping to stay afterwards its probably best to make a shortlist (reviews on trip advisor can help with that - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g303910-Activities-c25-Ko_Tao_Surat_Thani_Province.html) and visit them on arrival to check them out properly. You will be spending a lot of time with the centre you end up choosing, so its important to make sure you like the business, the staff, have potential opportunities for employment afterwards, and generally feel comfortable there.

Hope this helps :)

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

Thanks. Yeah I know I still have plenty of time yet to sort it out. Would I need to have it booked though before I arrive in Thailand in order to get a visa?

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

To enter the country you just need to show you have a valid return ticket or proof of onward travel. You can try asking the dive centres you decide to check out, but as far as we are aware the 12 month education visa is no longer available for diving activities.

Your best bet is a 6 month double entry visa prior to departure. This gets you 2 months, with a further month extension available on Samui. Then a border bounce to Burma and repeat, taking you to the end of your 6 months. Then reasses and see what the next step is once you've had some time here and figured out what you'd like to do.

Hope that helps :)

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

Thanks. I thought I could get a 12 month visa if I was doing the internship. I'll be spending 2 weeks in Thailand in June, at first I didn't think I could fit it in, but I will be able to spend a few days on ko Tao. So I've decided this is the best thing to do, therefore i can check out some of the dive schools and talk with them myself as this will be my last holiday before I make my move. Thanks for your help.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

No problem. Yes, I think that's definitely the right thing to do. Happy holidays and good luck with your DM.

We may be wrong, but they're really tightening up on the education visas lately. Pretty sure the only thing you can get them for now is learning Thai. So if it turns out your dive centre cannot organise one, you may want to consider popping in to the Thai language school on the main road next to Bang Burgers (think its called Sawasdee), and ask them. If you are planning on staying a while, learning some Thai cant be a bad thing, and if it gets you a 12 month visa probably worth it :)

Edited: 8:40 pm, February 03, 2014
Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

Thanks again. Yes that definitely sounds like it might be worth a shot. I can speak a very small amount if Thai but would certainly like to improve it if I'm going to live there so was considering doing a course anyway. I'll pay them a visit as well in June then and get some info. Thanks for your help.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

No problem at all, happy to help.

Good luck with it all :)

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

Thanks a million! A lot of hard work and saving to do now first, but I'll get there!!!!

9. Re: Scuba diving internship advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, February 07, 2015