We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

We are planning a trip March/April. Our dream is to see and swim with Whale Sharks. We have heard that Koh Tao and Koh Samui are the best spots. Any advice on the best way to enjoy the trip? Should we split the stay and stay a couple days on each island, or stay on one island for the entire trip and ferry back and forth for dive trips?

Thank you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

Hi There,

There is very little diving on Koh Samui. Dive trips that depart from there tend to be more expensive and they just use speed boats to take you to Koh Tao dive sites anyway. So its cheaper, easier and shorter days just to do your dive/snorkel trips from Koh Tao.

Whale sharks are never guaranteed, but historically March/April has been a good time for them. You'd have to be extremely lucky to see one snorkelling though. They tend to be in deeper water at more offshore divesites such as Chumphon Pinnacle, Southwest Pinnacle and Sail Rock. They can be seen periodically at the deeper end of dive sites closer to Koh Tao (White Rock, Green Rock, Twins, Hin Wong etc), but not with as much frequency.

Happy holidays :)

Good luck, I hope you manage to see one. But bear in mind its not guaranteed, it pretty much comes down to luck, and happening to be on the right dive site at the right time!

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
2. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

Hi There,

There is very little diving on Koh Samui. Dive trips that depart from there tend to be more expensive and they just use speed boats to take you to Koh Tao dive sites anyway. So its cheaper, easier and shorter days just to do your dive/snorkel trips from Koh Tao.

Whale sharks are never guaranteed, but historically March/April has been a good time for them. You'd have to be extremely lucky to see one snorkelling though. They tend to be in deeper water at more offshore divesites such as Chumphon Pinnacle, Southwest Pinnacle and Sail Rock. They can be seen periodically at the deeper end of dive sites closer to Koh Tao (White Rock, Green Rock, Twins, Hin Wong etc), but not with as much frequency.

Happy holidays :)

Good luck, I hope you manage to see one. But bear in mind its not guaranteed, it pretty much comes down to luck, and happening to be on the right dive site at the right time!

Cuneo, Italy
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

I alwais go to koh Tao in august or september, Unfortunately never seen whale shark :(

Avoid the diving day trip from Samui, too far travel, in my opinion to enjoy a good dive is definitely better stay a couple of nights in KT.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

Thank you! We know that when it comes to nature, you never know what you will see each day. We do want the best opportunity to see the amazing creatures...;) Do you have any advice on travel from Bankok to Koh Tao? Would a stop over in Phuket be realistic?

bangkok
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

you better go diving at koh bon or Richelieu rock to have more chance to see a Whale shark (or manta ray)

Koh Tao is not the place to see them ,even if some time one get lost in the golf of Thailand ,but that is EXCEPTIONAL.And it is scandalous that so many dive shop show a photo of whale shark on them flyer like it is a common seeing !

Cuneo, Italy
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

Hi hbscubagirl, there is a FAQ on the right side that show you all the ways to travel Bangkok-KT

Here the link

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g303910-c175571/Koh…

Personally I alwais take the Lomprayah bus-boat.

Marseille, France
6 posts
1 review
7. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

whale shark in koh tao ,that 's the biggest scam of this island.You have more chance to win at your national lotery than seeing a whale shark in the water around koh tao

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
8. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

I appreciate your honesty. I am looking at all options now based on other criteria. I have seen and heard about safety warnings. Should I cancel my trip and wait until Fall or next Spring?

9. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:12 pm, July 03, 2015
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
10. Re: Whale shark snorkeling/Diving

Us too, there were indeed many whaleshark sightings last October! As we have said before it is a bit about luck. As far as whaleshark sightings go, you have a good chance on Koh Tao, but that chance is still a rare one:)

Regarding safety concerns about Bangkok, We'd say you have pretty much zero cause for concern. We've had several staff members and customers in Bangkok in the last couple of weeks and to be honest there were not any major issues that tourists need to be concerned about. It's definitely nowhere close to what overseas media is hyping it up to be! Other than a few 'protests' which are basically people playing music and marching down some of the main streets, you wouldn't notice a difference - other than taxi journeys taking alternate routes thus a bit longer and more difficult to traverse the city.

If you are worried there is the option of flying from Bangkok directly to Koh Samui from where you can take a ferry to Koh Tao. It's actually the fastest way to get here and would avoid Bangkok city entirely.