We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sail Rock Dive Trip

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sail Rock Dive Trip

Hello All,

First time poster here so first off let me say thanks to all the people who reply on the threads, especially lushlynds and MasterDivers. Your info has made planning this trip exciting and pretty much stress free. I've been able to find almost all the answers to my questions in the forums except a couple. I planning on coming to the island in mid-February for around 10 days to do my Open Water Course and Advanced diver course, and also do an overnight run to the Full Moon Party. I might be a little too ambitious but I'd also like to throw in a trip to Sail Rock after I've completed my Advanced. The problem I've run into is the center I plan on doing my courses with does their Sail Rock trip on Sundays which I won't be able to go on since the Full Moon Party will be on Saturday night. That pretty much leaves the Friday before the full moon for the Sail Rock trip. I haven't been able to find a center that actually list that their trips are on Friday, does anyone happen to know of one. I was originally going to leave Koh Tao on Monday but if can't find a trip on Friday I can rework my plans to do the dive on Monday then leave Tuesday. Also, the school offers free fan bungalows with my courses which is fine since I plan on just using my room to shower and sleep. Does it cool off enough at night to get some sleep or should I plan on upgrading to and ac room. I should probably add that I'm going from an Alaskan February, to a Thai one so i might have a bit of climate shock. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sail Rock Dive Trip

Hi

Welcome to TA and the Koh Tao forum

I can't help directly with the dive days, I would say to email a few shops in the area you're staying in and ask them directly. Most are pretty good at replying and mostly helpful too. Have you asked the dive school you're going to use if they know of any?

The room situation is going to be a personal one. I'd say you'll be looking at low to mid 20's on average for evening temperatures. Now if you're staying near the beach, there'll be a breeze plus a fan and you should be okay, but (and it's a big one) coming from a cold country it'll take a good few days to acclimatize, and it may be quite uncomfortable. I would suggest stay in the free room and if it's unbearable then upgrade. The time you're travelling it shouldn't be packed full so there should be availabilty.

Safe and happy travels

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sail Rock Dive Trip

Thanks for the quick response and info lynds. I haven't ask the school I'm going with yet if they knew of others that had Friday trips, I didn't want to step on any toes, but I'll make sure to send them and email now. Glad to hear that the temperature cools off at night, mid 20's shouldn't be a problem hopefully. One last thing, if i want to leave my plans open and stay on Koh Tao for a couple extra day after the Full Moon Party would there still be seats available on flights back to Bangkok via Samui or Chumphon, or would I need to book those in advance? Thanks again.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sail Rock Dive Trip

You're welcome. You're not stepping on toes, they can't provide what you want, but you are still spending money with them so they should be okay with giving you help and advice, they're mostly decent folks on Tao ;-)

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a flight as long as you were flexible and were willing to travel i.e. to Koh Samui or Surat Thani.

Safe and happy travels

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sail Rock Dive Trip

Hi jasher58,

I would agree if you want to get to Sail Rock and your current dive school cannot go when you are diving with them, there is no problem to look elsewhere for a trip. We'll happy to call around to help customers find a trip there if it's not possible for us to go on the days the customer has. So you should be able to find a trip, although it is dependent on condition.

Regarding travel after the party, I'd recommend to booking at least a couple of days ahead to avoid disappointment. Flights may be open, but this year we found the ferry seats were booking up a day ahead when it was busy. Final tip - there are rules regarding flying after SCUBA diving, you're recommended to wait 24 hours before you fly, especially if you've done a few days of diving so remember to factor this into your travel plans.

Definitely email the schools you are interested in, you should find them helpful and informative. We like to think we are an OK lot here :-)

Happy travels!

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sail Rock Dive Trip

Thanks for the info lynds good to know that I should be able to get a flight back to Bangkok if needed. I'm pretty open with how I get back as long as I'm back in time for my flight home.

Thanks for the tips GTA, I'll probably just wait then to book a Sail Rock trip just in case the weather doesn't want to cooperate. I'll probably wait until a couple days after I get to Tao to book my flight back to Bangkok so I can get a feel of how long I want to stay in the islands, not a city person so I have a feeling that I'll just want to spend a few days in Bangkok to see the main sights and that's it. Thanks for the tip about the flight, I was planning on staying at least a couple nights in Koh Samui to decompress, literally and figuratively, and see what the island has to offer before the flight back to Bangkok.

I was already planning on doing at minimum the UV night dive with you guys/gals. Also the Pub Crawl if I get a break in diving. I don't want to kill myself by diving with a hangover, I'm a dumb American but not that dumb. Plus I don't want to be feeding the fish over the railing on the boat ride out. I'll make sure to message you guys on your website for questions with that.

6. Re: Sail Rock Dive Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 11, 2014