We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
168 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

Came back from Koh Tao and wanted to put some thoughts down to help other travelers on some questions that I had before I went to Koh Tao. We stayed in Sensi Paradise, so you can read my review of this place separately. Basically, the layout for the area where we were staying is this:

Town/pier -> small resorts -> Sensi Paradise -> Charm Churee Villa -> Bamboo Huts -> small huts whose name I don't know by Sai Nuan beach. There are small resorts sprinkeled throughout, but it's about 5-7 minute walk from Sensi to town, and about a 15-20 minute walk from Sensi to Bamboo Huts, all along a relatively easy to follow path. I'm glad we stayed in Sensi, otherwise I probably wouldn't want to walk to town at all, if I had to walk back 20-30 min at night.

My biggest question was how good was the snorkeling. We love to snorkel, and went to Koh Tao mainly for the snorkeling. The snorkeling was pretty good, and the beaches were prettier than the beaches we were at in Koh Samui. There was snorkeling of smallish fish off of our beach in front of Sensi Paradise, which was pretty decent off the beach snorkeling. We had read that there was a great beach next to Bamboo huts, Sai Nuan Beach, with great snorkeling. The beach was ok, the snorkeling was not great and had some currents. We didn't mind exploring through the different resorts to get down to the beach, but I thought that the snorkeling in front of Sensi was better. The fish were small but plentiful and you could really see them up close. At all the beaches, you have to be careful when the tide is low (it was really low while we were there, but if you're careful, it means you're really close to the fish). You also have to be really careful about the small boats b/c they come in and out of the beach where all the snorkelers are.

We rented a small boat to take us snorkeling. I was confused on how exactly you go about renting a small boat if you don't want to go through your resort, but I think if you go early morning to the pier, starting around 8am, you can go and negotiate with the taxis. I tried to go at night for the next day, and everyone said just come in the morning. Or you can see them come in and out of the beaches, and negotiate then. Some of them have snorkels and life jackets, some of them have shade, some is just a basic boat. Be aware of what you are negotiating for. We are a family of four and 2500 seemed to be the going price (they take into account how many people) for the whole day. Someone on the forum said 2000, but only 1 boat agreed to it at that price for a max of 5 hours, and didn't have snorkels. People recommended doing the big party boats instead, since they will feed you lunch and it works out to be 600-800 a person (it is advertised all over the islands), but we preferred to rent our own boat so we can come and go as we please.

I think we followed the same itinerary as the big boats, but tried to stay a step ahead:

Shark Bay- saw 3 sharks swimming together at around 9am. We luckily missed the big rush, as there was 1 boat there when we came, and 3-5 boats there when we left.

Ao Leuk – was ok, didn't look special so the kids opted to take a rest.

Hin Wong Bay – big rocks around the bay, I thought the best out of the 4 stops, lots of fish, and pretty clams to look at (but small).

Mongo Bay – we ate lunch here, but the problem is while we ate, the big boats all came in so by the time we finished lunch, the bay was packed. There was nothing interesting in snorkeling, I barely saw any fish. One fun thing we saw when we ate lunch was a big blob hanging around the boat that was slowly changing it's shape. Turns out it is small fish which hang out together, shape shifting fish. We had a lot of fun swimming through the fish and watching them disperse.

Thailand is not known for snorkeling, and I think this is probably the best that Thailand has to offer. Doesn't compare to Maldives, etc, but the boat trip snorkeling is probably similar to what you'd see off the beach in good snorkeling spots off the beach in Maui. (didn't see turtles in Koh Tao though) Personally, I think it's a pain to get to Koh Samui compared to other islands, and you have to take an additional ferry ride from Koh Samui to Koh Tao. Or you have to do the ferry/bus/plane combo from Nok Air (which we took, even though it was tiring, it worked out fine. I would definitely do this rather than trying to coordinate myself to save some money. This way, if the ferry is late, then the plane will wait for you due to the coordination). I don't know if I'd recommend a vacation in Koh Tao just to snorkel, but we enjoyed our boat trip around the island, and enjoyed the beaches in Koh Tao. I don't regret going for our vacation. The thing I would do differently is check out the trip advisor restaurant reviews before going and stick with a known quantity. We just went into town to check out different restaurants, and thought the meals were just ok, including one bad. We didn't take taxis around, and just chose to stay close to the resort and town, in part based on forum advice against certain moterbike companies and the expensive price of taxis in Koh Tao. Felt more like a backpackers town than Koh Samui, and I think it may be a good place for back packers willing to stay in cheap non aircon bungalows on the beach. Just figure out how to keep mosquitos and bugs away, b/c there are lots. We ended up in the pool more than we normally do, b/c mosquitos wouldn't bite us there!

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a shame you didn't get to visit Koh Nang Yuan on your boat trip though. I think the prices you've seen on the forum are correct outside of peak season. In July and August everything goes up!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

What a wonderful detailed report and great info for people asking about snorkelling in Thailand, thanks for sharing.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

Many thanks for the effort you put into this report, and the thoughts you share. We have only had limited, and only so-so, experience snorkelling in Thailand - and have wondered about a visit to Koh Tao (and Koh Nang Yuan). Views on Koh Nang Yuan seem to be split between near-extremes, both as a place to spend a night, and to snorkel. Reports on Koh Tao seem to be all-too-similar to reports on places like Pulau Tioman (which is cheaper and easier to reach from its respective major-city starting point) - e.g. also near-extreme positive or negative.

In my attempts to form a consensus sense of Koh Tao, I have wound up with a sense that your report strongly aligns with - and adds helpful perspective to.

So, again, many thanks for that.

BTW, we use prescription masks, which we bought many years ago in Bangkok, and which have served us very well. So we are never concerned about the equipment that might be available locally. If curious, the major sports chains in Bangkok (and likely their outlets near beach areas where such outlets may exist) like SuperSports should have a selection of masks, and corrective lenses for them. No prescription was needed when we bought out masks, though you should certainly know what your prescription is - and how to adapt that prescription for under-water use (read up, or ask an optometrist who is also well-versed on diving-snorkelling).

Regarding getting to-from Koh Tao, our tentative plans involve rail to Chumphon, an overnight there, and a boat the next morning. For the return trip we would also build in some relaxation time in Chumphon. Despite that place not looking like it would be our all-time favourite stopover in Thailand (unlikely to match places like Phimai, Roi Et, Surin, Phitsanulok, Chiang Mai and Bangkok itself) it looks like it could be acceptable for a few hours' connection buffer time each way.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,932 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

Really interesting report, good read. Thanks for sharing!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
168 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

FYI we went in peak high season - second week of August, and 2500 seemed to be the going rate. Earthling Online- 3 of us have masks and snorkels, and my husband does not. He would have been fine just using his goggles, but I figure for the same price, why not get him a set as rental? (b/c the cheaper boat would limit its time too) Funny what you say about Tioman b/c that is the other place I considered in booking this vacation. If it is looking like Tioman is probably similar to Koh Tao, then I say bypass Thailand and Malaysia, and just go straight to Maldives for snorkeling. I think my views were probably colored b/c we went to the Maldives last December, and it was incredible in comparison. Sigh in remembering Maldives vacation, Koh Tao was nice but doesn't garner the same emotional reaction. :) We actually did look at Maldives again, but wrong weather season in August. We didn't have any problems with Rain in Koh Tao in August, but in Koh Samui, we had storms every day around 4pm for about an hour, that didn't really interfere with our fun.

Oh, I forgot to add - when we took NOk Air package from Koh Tao to Bangkok, be warned that it is extremely disorganized and there are no good signs at the Koh Tao boarding area. ARrive an hour early (at least 45 min) to wait in line. There is no sign for the Nok Air package, and the Nok Air itinerary did not say which boat you go on. You have to figur it out b/c NOk Air says High Speed Ferry, and Lompraya is the only High Speed Ferry. Plus, they rely on a very inaccurate sticker system, where you need to listen carefully for when they call your ferry, and make sure that you are with all the other people who have the same sticker as you.

Glad you guys enjoyed this. I know I always appreciate a helpful and detailed JBR which answers the questions in my mind when I research a place, as well as the great replies from the destination experts and the other posters! love TA!

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

sfgirl3, thanks again. The Maldives is on our short-list (but has been for too-long-a-time). We have enjoyed the Cook Islands, a few spots in the Caribbean, and even Cape Cod (jetties create fascinating ecosystems).

On occasion we check Maldives offerings from Bangkok, KL and Singapore. Some seem to be pretty good.

7. Re: JBR - Probably the best snorkeling in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 29, 2014