We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

Washington DC...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

Hi folks-

I'm traveling to Thailand with my girlfriend for about two weeks in Sept. We're going to a few different areas, and we'd like to spend the last 3-5 days of our trip on one of the islands. We're not big party people, so we're overlooking Ko Phangnan. We also don't want to just sit on a beach and do nothing, but if it's a beach with good snorkeling and great views, then awesome. We also like to hike, and we're always up for other fun physical activities too. My question is basically: should we ferry over to Koh Tao for a few days because of the good snorkelling, or should we stick with Ko Samui for that time and split our time amongst several activities? Is it worth the ferry ride (and the time it takes up) to go to Koh Tao and back?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

Ian, Koh Phangan is only a party place when the full moon party is on and that's only in one part of Koh Phangan which is Hat Rin so I wouldn't rule it out, also because it gives you the hiking trails you like and you could visit koh Tao as a day trip. Cassnu is the DE on the Koh Phangan forum, she goes there with her family so would be the ideal person to give you advice.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

if you did pick koh samui, you could also do a day trip to ang thong national/marine park, looks amazing and can do some treking/hiking there amongst other things

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

Hi

Welcome to the Koh Tao forum.

As the others have said, in various ways, all 3 islands have things to offer. With regards to Koh Tao the snorkeling is the best in the area. There's some great view points to hike to around the island as well as rock climbing, abseiling, zip lining and many other activities available. A visit to Koh Nang Yuan is also a very worth while trip from Koh Tao.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

how hard is it for someone who isnt a great swimmer to do some form of snorkelling at koh tao. is it possible to stay on the surface with a life jacket and participate some way or another

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

Hi

Yes the snorkeling is just fine on the surface with a life jacket, in fact I'd say that's how most people partake when on a guided trip. The sea conditions will dictate how comfortable you would feel. Snorkeling from shore may make you feel more comfortable. You'd also be fine around Koh Nang Yuan too!

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

thanks lynds, ill keep it in mind

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

Please be aware (and I wish more people were) that Koh Phangan is not just a party island. Yes, they have the Full Moon Party there, plus some others, but away from those specific times and specific areas the island is very laid back, especially on the west and north coasts. If snorkelling is a big focus for you then Koh Tao is the place to head, but both Samui and Koh Tao are very different. Samui is much more westernised and built up in the main areas, whereas Tao isn't to the same degree.

8. Re: Which island? Koh Tao or Ko Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao