We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

Hi, I am almost ready to leave for Thailand but I would like to get some more information about the night boat that leaves Suratthani Ban Don pier (not Don Sak!). If I understood correctly it leaves daily at 11pm and reaches Koh Tao at 8am. It should be a really basic boat with just some mattresses and pillows on the floor, no cabins with beds.

Did anybody take that boat in the last few months? If you did, can you please tell confirm that it runs daily, that it leaves from here http://goo.gl/maps/pqeTb, the name of the boat company (everybody talks abouut the night boat, but it should have a name...), and the price.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
78 replies to this topic
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

It runs every night, weather permitting, it's very basic but if conditions are smooth it's actually quite comfortable. Never noticed a name, it's not some slick operation and certainly not for tourists, it's a locals form of transport probably started by a fisherman way back when and is still used for transporting freight. Can take a lot longer if sea conditions are rough. Costs around 4-500 baht and tickets are bought down at the pier. That is the approximate location that you have marked, ask anywhere/anyone they will all know the location.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

Thnaks Cassnu for the conforting reply. I'll try to take it and then i will be able to post pictures and provide all the info to this community!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

If you do a Google search you can find images of it:

ollikkala.com/images/…01_KohTaoFerry.jpg

…wordpress.com/2011/07/wpid-night-boat1.jpg…

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

simple idea that I didn't had, thanks ;-)

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

There is a new 'nice' boat service that runs from that location. It's got bunk beds so you're not in a long row like a tin of sardines!. It leaves Surat at 11pm on Sundays and Wednesdays and arrives on Tao at about 6am.

The normal boat runs on all other days.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

I hope someone posts photos of the new 'nice' boat service sometime, I'm interested to see what it's like.

San Diego...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

Hi TRAchiaraVEL,

Please post new information when you can! I'm planning on using this night ferry service when I go to Thailand in July, so any type of information for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

There won't be much new information to post, this service has been running for over 20 years and has not changed in that time. It leaves at 11pm from Ban Don, you buy your ticket at the pier and get on - that's it.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

So, we went there at 18:30 and we bought our tickets. We were afraid that they could be sold out soon, but we were among the first ones to buy them. At the end the boat was full and a couple of Thai people slept on some mattresses put over the stairs. We paid 550 Baht because we are foreigners, but Thai people pay 400 Baht. I'd say that 80% of the travellers were white tourists when I went there. It is possible to bring your own scooter (extra fee), in case someone is interested in.

The situation witht eh beds is pretty well organized. Every ticket has a number which corresponds to a mattress. Every mattress has fresh linen (set by the staff at 19:00 when we arrived) and a small pillow with a pillow case. The space per person is not much, probably 80cm, but it was enough for me and my small backpack with valuables (locked). The big luggages are placed in the middle between the two rows of mattrasses or in the front of the boat. There is a small toilet on the boat and several fans.

The boat left Suratthani on time, at 23:00, and reached Koh Tao at 7:00. People that took it frequently told me that usually it arrives between 6 and 8am, depending on the sea conditions.

Ban Don pier is not really a harbor. A couple of boats are there on the side of the river and they are well visible. There are also night boats for the other islands, and also on the way back, from Kho Tao to Suratthani.

Overall my experience was better than expected, I was able to sleep probably six hours in a row, with the sea being not too strong. However, you feel the waves, just in case you are sea sick...

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm

Thanks for the feedback Trachiara - if the seas are rough it would be a very unpleasant experience.

Reply to: Night boat Ban Don pier (Surat thani town) at 11pm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted