We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

India
Level Contributor
363 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

it's pretty hard to miss......koh tao comes out tops in scooter scams!!!! anywhere in Thailand........look at the forum !!!......a sizeable number of the posts in the forum are about scooter scams..... save a few honest rental agencies like the ones mentioned in some earlier posts.....the rest of them seem to be at it hard!!.............here's a warning to all ye travellers out there DO NOT HIRE SCOOTERS IN KOH TAO!!!..i guess that's the only way we can run the scamsters out of business!!!.....i'm headed here soon , and that's one thing i'm gonna steer clear off......just like the jet skis in phuket!!!..........happy travels :)

Edited: 4:01 am, February 01, 2013
99 replies to this topic
11. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, April 02, 2013

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Ps. Island travel is close to the pier, just up the road from cafe del sol.

If u want to see the island and explore the beautiful beaches you are going to need your own wheels.

Truck taxis are super expensive and not pracrical

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,683 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Its quite possible & enjoyable to walk to the beaches on the eastern side instead of renting a bike, Just have to watch out for all the bikes flying around on the roads & disturbing the peaceful tranquility of the remote parts of the island.

India
Level Contributor
363 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

TTT (to the top)

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Hmmm...possible yes...but enjoyable? I think not. Perhaps you are the ultra fit type that is out running in the morning while the rest of us are scarffing our bacon and french toast. We just left Koh Tao and while we loved the island, we found spending the day out in the heat + humidity quite tough. Several times while crusing the hills of the east coast on our scooter we were flagged down but a very sweaty and exausted couple trying to find some beach in the area. Since we had been to most of them we happily gave them directions. Many made comments to the effect of...man...by the time we get there we'll be to poped to swim!

So yeah...for all you average or below average fit people out there my advice would be to NOT try and walk to the various beaches in this heat. See them by scooter or take a taxi there, or book one of the snorking trips where you get to see many good beaches by boat. Pick one or two you like and go back there another day.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Hmmm...possible yes...but enjoyable? I think not. Perhaps you are the ultra fit type that is out running in the morning while the rest of us are scarffing our bacon and french toast. We just left Koh Tao and while we loved the island, we found spending the day out in the heat + humidity quite tough. Several times while crusing the hills of the east coast on our scooter we were flagged down but a very sweaty and exausted couple trying to find some beach in the area. Since we had been to most of them we happily gave them directions. Many made comments to the effect of...man...by the time we get there we'll be to poped to swim!

So yeah...for all you average or below average fit people out there my advice would be to NOT try and walk to the various beaches in this heat. See them by scooter or take a taxi there, or book one of the snorking trips where you get to see many good beaches by boat. Pick one or two you like and go back there another day.

Sint-Kruis, België
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

DONT go to "Safe travel" at the pier unless you're willing to pay extra!!!! Scamshop with a VERY unreasonable and rude staff!! You shall be warned!

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Can only confirm previous comments - certainly scooter scams seem the norm, guy we hired from (a europeon) at Euro shop just up from the wharves, did the same, claimed a slight scratch was caused by us, (not so - 40 years on bikes I would have noticed if I had scratched his bike )- had noticed him picking at the scratch at the sign out and assumed he had marked it on the contract - obviously not - but as he had his partner there for the return tried to get 4800 Bh ( AUD 160) for the scratch - guess this is how they buy new bikes - definitely recommend taking photos of the whole bike.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

www.kohtaomotorbikerental.weebly.com/

so are these guys ok.

Have emailed them about booking a couple of quad bikes for 2 days, came back with a price off 2400 bhat for the two days.

Anybody ever used them before, guys name is Jack.

India
Level Contributor
363 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Haven't heard of these guy's before but two names doing the rounds of various posts are Buddha view 2 travel and RPM.......Buddha view has quads.......personally can't vouch for them coz haven't used them myself but a lot of recommendations for these guy's on various posts.....maybe others can help you on that......hope this helps......hiring a bike here seems more complicated then getting here!!

Edited: 9:06 am, February 26, 2013
Reply to: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao