We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

India
Level Contributor
371 posts
60 reviews
123 helpful votes
koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

it's pretty hard to miss......koh tao comes out tops in scooter scams!!!! anywhere in Thailand........look at the forum !!!......a sizeable number of the posts in the forum are about scooter scams..... save a few honest rental agencies like the ones mentioned in some earlier posts.....the rest of them seem to be at it hard!!.............here's a warning to all ye travellers out there DO NOT HIRE SCOOTERS IN KOH TAO!!!..i guess that's the only way we can run the scamsters out of business!!!.....i'm headed here soon , and that's one thing i'm gonna steer clear off......just like the jet skis in phuket!!!..........happy travels :)

Edited: 4:01 am, February 01, 2013
112 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

True, Koh Tao is pretty small anyways so you probably don't need to hire a scooter there. Would also be careful in some of the more comercial and touristy areas like Chaweng in Samui, Pattaya, Patong in Phuket... Some places it is well worth renting one (if you are a confident driver) but always be careful and try and get from a reputable place where possible. Also if they see you taking pics etc of the bike before you rent it they are less likely to try it on because they realise you half expect it and are prepared...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,814 posts
262 reviews
234 helpful votes
2. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

I've been thinking that lately too, nearly every post in the Koh Tao forum is about scooter scams, but because of this we now always take photos of the scooter before we hire which we never did in the past.

India
Level Contributor
371 posts
60 reviews
123 helpful votes
3. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

you know, i've always wondered about that!......how is one ,to take photos of every scratch on the bike....i mean !! what if you miss one ..apparently these guys are aware of the ' hidden scratches ' even before the bike leaves the store.......now if we happen to miss that one and haven't got a pic to show for it, then we are in for a whole load of trouble.........i read somewhere in a previous post that the owner of a rental found a 1cm scratch on the underside of the bike and charged the girls something like 4000 THB.....now that is just plain ridiculous !! ...........I think, in one of your earlier posts you've mentioned a dutch guy?? ...near the buddha statue who does an honest rental....

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
166 reviews
126 helpful votes
4. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

The less falangs with motorbikes on Ko Toa, the better as far as I'm concerned. Just got sick of all the prats zooming round all day on their bikes

glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
79 helpful votes
5. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Yes I have to agree. We had a bad experience with stamp travel, just past the 7/11 in sairee. Had to get the police to get our passports back. If you must hire a scooter, put the deposit down, not your pasnsport, tho chances are they will find a scratch and you'll never see it again. Better to take a taxi boat to the other smaller beaches

This is a widespread scam, we met others at the police statoon all for the same reasons

R

glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

Wish there were tuk tuks or a tourist bus rather than scooter hire

Edited: 1:09 am, February 02, 2013
Thailand
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
174 reviews
158 helpful votes
7. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

The real scam is that TAT Police and local government officials are aware of all these scams and take NO action to stamp it out. I guess some "tea money" must be involved as usual.

glasgow
Level Contributor
13 posts
44 reviews
79 helpful votes
8. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

I agree they probably are at the least aware of the scam, but better to involve the police, pay the money and get your passport back than spend all day arguing with a Thai thug, and get involved in a fight, and end up in a Thai jail.

At Stamp travel, by the time we got to the police station they had phoned and said we threatened them and broke a window.

Again I would recommend travelers leave a deposit, especially for long terrm hire and just consider it gone!

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
23 helpful votes
9. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

I just returned my scooter to Island Travel. Had no issues the guy was really decent. I hired it from here as the guy is a forigner and I felt he would be much less likely to rip me off than a local. Price is 200/day. I got the 4 speed with no clutch. Nice bike. Burnt almost no gas and we drove around tons. Bike is a tad underpowered if u r carrying a passenger up some of the steep hills to the beaches. Keeper in first geat and pin it.

Only negative think is the kickstand came loose when i was driving it and they guy told me id have to get it fixed at my own expense. Wasnt a huge deal shop did it right away and only charged 20bhat.

Only negative thing about rw

10. Re: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, April 02, 2013

Reply to: koh tao - scam central for scooter hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted