We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

I have been once in thailand at khao lak and i'm now going to koh tao this march. Tao being a small island.. I started wondering about it's effect on prices, currency exchange etc.. Does it effect?

- I read these posts and some say that if using Visa or Mastercard they might add 3 % to everything. That wasn't so when I was at khao lak, the price was the same if I used MC.

- I also didn't take so much money in baht with me because the exchange rate was under 0,5 baht less than in my home country. Is there a bad rate at koh tao bank or at the money exchange points or is it the same as elsewhere in thailand?

-I've also read that 7-elevens and such have higher prices? True or false?

-I've understood that food is more expensive? True or false? I could get a phad thai for 40-60 baht and a cocktail for 90-150.

I already booked expensive flights and I have now afterwards read all this and started panicing about budget... Any info is apreciated!

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

Hi

Any Thai island is more expensive than the mainland so yes prices on Tao are higher than that of Khao Lak. Although, I've never noticed a higher price in the 7-11's but I also haven't paid a lot of attention either.

The exchange rates by banks are the same as anywhere else in the country so no need to worry there. Again when it comes to credit card charges I've found it mixed throughout the country with some places charging and some not, it's not a set thing across the island.

Koh Tao is the cheapest Thai island I've visited. Cocktails were around 140-160 baht, don't eat pad thai but again if you're eating local food then the prices are only slightly higher.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

thanks for the reply. I hope i don't have to get a job at tao :)

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

There'd be worse things in my opinion. At least you know now to do a little research before booking anything. I really don't think you'll have too much of a problem though

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

Currency exchange: take cash and exchange it in a bank. If you use ATM or VISA withdrawals, you will pay 150+2.5%-3.5% (depends your own bank) extra every time.

Thai food: about 40-100, depends where and what you want to eat

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
513 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

We found Koh Tao to be a lot cheaper than Koh Samui for meals and drinks,

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

thanks for the replies!

Dalian, China
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

Hi,

Hope the trip went well. I'm heading there myself for Songkran and I'm going to be bring the 'ol Visa for convenience sake.

My question is: Did anyone notice/know of daily withdrawal limits from ATMs? I'm not going to be staying anywhere fancy but I am travelling alone so I'd rather not get stuck without cash.

Cheers!

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

Hi

Thai ATM's normally have a 20 note restriction and as 1000 baht notes are the highest they dispense it would be safe to assume 20,000 baht, however, your card issuer may also have limit restrictions which could be less. Remember the 150 baht fee is included in the limit.

Edited: 6:29 am, April 02, 2013
Dalian, China
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

That's going to be more than enough for my budget.

Cheers.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh tao bank and money at koh tao

Koh Tao was a blast. Stressed for nothing.. Everything you need for relaxation, partying, diving. Not for the elderly though, unless young minded. Tourist paradise. BBQ, bars, clubs, loungebars by the beach. Basic Shoppiing. Really good food everywhere, local, western, good prices on it also. Currency rate is like max 0,5 baht lower than on koh phangan.. nothing that makes a difference. Basic A/C accommodation neart the beach, cheapers (900-1200 bht) is expensive (compared) but get a fan bungalow or a rental apartment and you save money. There are hotels that are not in the internet but they are by the walking road at the beach. No need for a motorbike here if you stay at sairee beach, everything is there, but if you wan't one 150 baht a a day was the cheapest I found. Taxis was regular price in thailand. Sometimes had to bargain because i knew the prices

Edited: 12:07 pm, April 04, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao