We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Trip

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Trip

Hi everyone! I will be travelling to Thailand for the first time and will be staying over for 2 weeks in December. First week I will be in Koh Samui, then I will grab a flight to Bangkok where I will stay for 3 nights. The question I have for you is if you would recommend a visit to Koh Tao for a 29year guy and for how long? I will have 6 days left, is it worth it or would it be better to do 3 nights in Koh Tao and then 3 in Koh Samui? Purpose of the trip is to see new things, activities, do some scuba diving, have fun and definitely relax since I had only 2 week vacation in 1,6 year. What about Koh Phangan? My flight back home leaves from Koh Samui so that is why I was planing to stay around. Suggestions appreciated.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Trip

Hi

If you want to scuba, Koh Tao is a ,must do. It's the best place to dive around the Gulf coast. I'd suggest at least 3 days on Tao if you're doing fun dives at least 6 days if you want to do a dive course.

As it's peak season you'll need to book accomodation prior to arrival but once there you can check out the dive shops in person.

For a solo guy I'd suggest staying in Sairee as it's the busiest and has the best facilities. The general feel is quite laid back but you'll find plenty of friendly folk around you too.

Hope this helps a little.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Trip

Koh Tao is your best option for diving yes.

Please do consider though that if you dont already have your license then your first course will actually last 3.5 days.

Also - as you are traveling on your own then also consider you will meet people through the dive centre that you dive with so if you want to be a bit social then hanging out on koh tao longer might be your better option - but I do live here so I could be a bit biased (lol)

Feel free to message me if you want more detailed information.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Trip

Thanks for the feedback to both of you. Now the diving course that lasts for 3.5 days, is that for beginners like my self and what does the course involve? As for the price in thailand "baht" how much would it be?? I will be going on december, first week on Koh Samui arriving the 6th, I have heard and read that the weather is supposed to be pretty good by then since the monsoon season is during november, correct? Thanks

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Trip

Usually the worst of the weather has passed.

The 3.5 day course is the first course - called Open Water.

If you do this with SSI - you can do your theory online free before you come which would save you classroom time and also make your course a more relaxed schedule - you can check this out here...

http://www.divessi.com/online_training

The cost varies little here around 9000B.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Trip

Thanks... By the way, any good places you could recommend at Koh Tao during a 3 day stay approx?

Edited: 1:45 pm, November 14, 2012
Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,594 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Trip

As post #1 Sairee is best place to stay for you.

Nice resort in my opinion are

Simple Life

Bow Thong

Sairee Cottage

Sairee Hut

7. Re: Solo Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao