We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tree top sanctuary

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Tree top sanctuary

Has anyone stayed at or seen the villas at Treetop sanctuary near Sairee beach? They look really good but there is only one review for them.

Thank you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Tree top sanctuary

Too many 1 or 2 posts for my liking !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tree top sanctuary

First thing first - there is a reason they took down their page on Tripadvisor.

We stayed in one of the villas, Bamboo Tree villa in July 2013. We were travelling with a group of 5, two families with a teenager and this villa offered separate bedrooms which was great!

Location is very remote, it's not easy to get up that hill (even for a fit person) on foot and not all taxi drivers are willing to take you up there. Anita does offer a nr for the driver, which is great, but he doesn't work "after hours" and that time varies according to his mood and plans. But it's not unreasonable. Besides, we were there to relax and enjoy well deserved break, so didn't sweat too much about little things.

The big things were waiting ahead anyways.

Before we arrived, two very negative reviews came up on Tripadvisor on these villas and of course we were concerned and communicated with Anita, who was very friendly and provided us her side of the story, assuring us all these issues that were mentioned in the reviews - like no water and terrible location were just an exaggeration and huge misunderstanding.

So...back to those bigger things - isn't it nice to come back to your "luxurious" villa after a day of diving and sun soaking and take a hot (warm will do as well) shower, or fill up that amazing jacuzzi and relax? Yes, that would've been amazing. Only we found that only top floor had hot/warm water while bottom floor had no water whatsoever. Then the power went off, so there was no water anywhere, hot or cold. We had to climb under the house to get the power going again, the power going on and off continued for a few hours at which point we gave up and went to bed.

Anita did assure us all will be fixed by the next morning. Of course it wasnt.

Anyways...this villa was meant to be the latest addition to the "sanctuary" and it felt they ran out of money to complete it and now were financing the completion by collecting deposits from few unlucky people that were fooled by pretty pictures. Before we left Koh Tao, electricity seemed to be working as long as only one person at a time was taking a shower on the top floor only and water was a mix of cold to lukewarm. We didn't pay the full "luxurious" price, which was fair at the end, except the experience wasnt what we have planned and it left a bitter feeling.

The house is really great, the view is alright, the outside pool is a tiny dipping pool but nice to relax at night to cool down. I would not recommend this place to anyone I know.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tree top sanctuary

Would agree pretty much with the above.

Just got back from Ko Tao and stayed at Treetop for 2 nights. Having stayed in InterContinental on Ko Samui previous nights before we arrived in Ko Tao, I have to say, the difference is heaven and earth. This is basically a holiday rental... not a hotel... so it is not comparable with InterContinental. There is little to no service.

The main problem for me is the location and facilities. The place is remote, up high on the hill. You will find it difficult going down by foot even if you are fit and young. You do get a view, but only a OK view and certainly does not compensate the location. Travel up and down by taxi costs 100 baht per person during the day and 150 baht at night. So take that in to consideration when booking. You may think it is cheap, but the travel costs does add up. There are no restaurants or shops close by, you need to get supplies or food, you need to get a taxi. Though some local restaurants do deliveries.

The landlady communicates with you over a mobile phone provided. You don't see them the entire time, apart from they show up and ask for money when you arrive. The rooms are OK, but certainly not luxury, I mean definitely not Luxury despite the fact they call it "Luxury" on the sign at the bottom of the hill... I'd call call InterContinental or FourSeasons luxury, this place is definitely not. The blinds fell off during night which woke us up. You can tell they tried to make it nice, but somehow ran out of money.

There is a smallish pool, but the noise coming from the filter kept me well awake at night. We asked if it could be turned off, the response was that the pool will get murky and unusable. Kind of a raw deal as you either get a pool but no sleep, or sleep without the pool. Plus the switch is apparently in awkward place and quite difficult to get to. So we didn't bother. Also we found quite a few nails and screws in the pool. Which we though was dangerous and people using could get hurt.

Cooking facilities was OK. But the extractor fan is very greasy. Not properly cleaned for some time. There is no microwave, which you would think a holiday rental would provide something like that. The toilet is quite dingy and damp as there are no windows. "Broadband" is off a 3G dongle, which means it is not broadband, it is 3G. Plus the range of this thing not good. Someone staying in the downstairs room will not get service, if it is left upstairs. But you can take the dongle with you while you are out, which we did and had internet everywhere we went.

We would have splashed a bit more money on a better place, but visiting Ko Tao was a last minute decision as we cancelled the trip to Bangkok, and Treetop seemed "OKish" and was one of the better place that is available to us for those dates.

We did go to a few other resorts to have dinner/lunch. I have to say, there are better places on the island. For example, the ViewPoint Resort is very nice, where we had dinner there on our last day. Price was comparable to InterContinental which is probably double of what Treetop charges. The pretty pictures on the websites certainly are not a true representation of the place. I'd avoid next time for sure even if I have to pay double.

14. Re: Tree top sanctuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 09, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tree top sanctuary

I can confirm from our experience that the negative reviews here are all true.

We were hugely disappointed. It is advertised as a luxury villa and it is about as far removed from luxury as you can get. The place had a superficial clean about it and when examined closer it was pretty filthy. The floors had not been swept or mopped, windows dirty, coffee mugs not cleaned properly etc I could go on.

There were no hand towels or pool towels. We had one old and stained bath towel each.

Transport is quite an issue unless you hire a bike or car. Our first day we arrived, called a taxi on one of the numbers provided to get supplies from the supermarket and I kid you not, the bloke laughed at me and told me to walk. I did see the funny side luckily. I managed to find one in the end but you will pay extortionate rates because of where the villa is situated.

We were also told day before check out, we needed to be out by 9am as the next guests were arriving at 10am. I politely declined and said we were checking out at midday to which they then agreed to.

I had a wedding to attend and so asked if we could borrow an iron. Answer was "no iron, take it down the road to one of the many laundromats". Luxury villas, my ****

Would I recommend this place. Absolutely not. Read all the reviews, or what you can find, and make a judgement. We made the wrong one sadly, here's hoping you don't.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tree top sanctuary

I can confirm from our experience that the negative reviews here are all true.

We were hugely disappointed. It is advertised as a luxury villa and it is about as far removed from luxury as you can get. The place had a superficial clean about it and when examined closer it was pretty filthy. The floors had not been swept or mopped, windows dirty, coffee mugs not cleaned properly etc I could go on.

There were no hand towels or pool towels. We had one old and stained bath towel each.

Transport is quite an issue unless you hire a bike or car. Our first day we arrived, called a taxi on one of the numbers provided to get supplies from the supermarket and I kid you not, the bloke laughed at me and told me to walk. I did see the funny side luckily. I managed to find one in the end but you will pay extortionate rates because of where the villa is situated.

We were also told day before check out, we needed to be out by 9am as the next guests were arriving at 10am. I politely declined and said we were checking out at midday to which they then agreed to.

I had a wedding to attend and so asked if we could borrow an iron. Answer was "no iron, take it down the road to one of the many laundromats". Luxury villas, my ****

Would I recommend this place. Absolutely not. Read all the reviews, or what you can find, and make a judgement. We made the wrong one sadly, here's hoping you don't.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tree top sanctuary

A REAL SWINDLE !!!!

The villa is not maintained. It was dirty, smell the sewers in the both bathrooms.

The worst is the pool, it was shady and green with a strong smell of javel. I ask 3 times to clean it but i can't swim inside.

The door of the second room is broken and you can not locked the door.

None presence of management, just one person Ta, he's kind but totally powerless with all these problem.

We stay 3 nights and we are very happy to leaving this place.

Winchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Tree top sanctuary

We found it strange that these 'luxury villas' could not be found on TripAdvisor before we booked our trip they looked absolutely fantastic, however after returning from our trip to Thailand having stayed at the Tree Top Sanctuary for two nights - it is very clear why they do not have a profile on here. I'm afraid to say that it would only receive very negative reviews indeed.

My partner and I stayed here early October 2014 and what a huge disappointment these villas turned out to be. We fully understood the villa would be up a steep hill but we figured the hike would be worth it for a gorgeous view, private villa and pool. But it wasn't. Plus the view wasn't all that great, mainly because it was over shadowed by all the trees.

The villa... where do I begin. At a first glance, it looks nice but upon closer inspection you realise it is actually very dirty. Cobwebs, dust, washed out hard bathroom towels, unclean, unmopped floors, dead bugs ect... The wifi does not work, which is fine, and expected being as remote as we are but I do not think it should be advertised as having this as a facility. The bathroom had the worse smell which had been cleverly disguised for our initial walk round but by the end of two days you couldn't even open the bathroom door without gagging. I feel sorry for anyone staying here for a longer period of time! My other bug to bear was the security of the villas, your valuables are most certainly not safe in the safe - which could be carried out of the villa by a toddler as it wasn't secured to the floor and was very light. None of the doors in the villa close properly either so combined with the 'toy safe' you are left with little confidence that your valuables will be at home when you get back at night or day for that matter. As well as the doors not closing, the windows also don't close... which leads me nicely on to by far our biggest issue with the villa and our stay.... IT FLOODS!

Yes, we did visit Thailand during wet season and yes we expected rain. But the guy who was 'looking' after us during our stay seemed extremely surprised when we called him to say that our villa was completely flooding during one of Thailand's brilliant down pours. The down poor lasted for about 40minutes in total, but within about 10minutes of it raining we realised water was pouring through the bedroom windows, the bathroom windows, under the door, and through two cracks in the ceilings (near a light socket can I add!) We called Samuel (the guy looking after us) who quickly appeared with two other people who bought extra towels and a mop bucket. The rain stopped, the water was mopped up and we were left with some spare towels incase it happened again. Fortunately the rest of the evening and following day remained dry, but at midnight on our second (and last!) night in this villa the heavens opened. Our bedroom floor ended up with an inch of water, our clothes that were on the floor got soaked and we had to quickly move our suitcases up a level so to not ruin anymore or our clothes. It rained for five hours - we got no sleep because of the amount of water pouring into our room and through our ceiling. As it was the small hours of the morning we did not think it was fair to call out Samuel, and to be honest what could he have actually done that we weren't already? Plus we were leaving at 9am the next morning so we couldn't be bothered. We just dealt with it and moved into the living room. But what strikes us as weird about this situation is the apparent lack of knowledge anyone seemed to have about the fact this villa floods. It was wet season, it rained everyday that we stayed in Thailand. How did the management not know that this was a problem!!!!!!

We might have overlooked some of the smaller issues we had with this villa if it hadn't been for the flooding. So to those thinking about booking here during the wet season, don't! It is far from the sanctuary it claims to be and we left after only two nights here feeling very tired and frustrated indeed.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tree top sanctuary

I booked for Nov 2014, we didn't even stay one night as it was awful. Dirty, shabby and not pleasant at all. The kitchen area was disgusting and as I was cleaning the sink a cockroach crawled ou of the overflow. No lid on toilet paper bin which didn't get emptied for 4 days! It's such a shame as the view are stunning and could be amazing but just not a good standard for the price. The owner ignored my emails but he does work at DJL diving in koh Tao. I have noticed that if there I'd a problem in koh Tao the staff always say the owner is in Bangkok or on holiday! Very convenient.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tree top sanctuary

I have now had a reply from Ollie.....he says he is not the owner but just manages the website! and he says he doesn't work at Davy Jones Locker Dive centre. I think Ollie is telling PORKIES! He says he manages the website from the UK, but when we first arrived the this SLUM, we were told to make our payment at Davy Jones Locker Diving centre. Guess who is a diving instructor there?......Yes....Ollie. I do hope that the next person that gets conned into parting with there money for staying in this pigsty, they go and pay him a visit.!