We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

Wales
Level Contributor
697 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

Hi have seen many posts regarding avoiding scooter hire companies in KS and tao for one scam or the other.

LI ove to do explore this way in Thailand and have enjoyed some off the beaten track adventures, even if im quickly approaching middle age..never stopped me yet..lol

My question is.... does anyone have any recomendations for a reliable company, seems my hotel Haad Tien, dont block book any scooters, which is a shame I have to say ..

any advice ?

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

Don't rent from beside the gas station. They are crooks. 150/baht/day sounds great, sucks you in. They make the rest when you bring it back. 10,000 in damages of bike you never did.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

hi

i live on koh tao , and we have a shop in the center of mae haad and everyday we see people being ripped off when they return there bikes, there are lots of instructors and divemasters who have extra bikes , which they rent out to make a little extr money, they usually charge 200 bht a day, and they dont ask for your passport, sometimes a small deposit is required , age dependant , usually 1000 - 2000 bht , if you have an accident they will take you to any garage you like and you just pay the repair cost, no extras ,

if you need any help , just ask and i can get you in touch with some of them

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

I hired a scooter from DD Hut motocyle hire and was totally ripped off for a couple of incredibly minor scratches. I agreed that they were done by me but they were virtually invisible. You could feel them by running your hand over them on the underside of the bike. I took photos before taking the bike but minor scratches are not visible on photos. The bike was already a heap of junk with numerous scratches on it. They have your passport so it is difficult to get a reasonable outcome. It cost me $100 for what should have been $10. Do not trust them. I am sure they make their money from this scam rather than the rental cost.

london
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

in your case there is no rip off because you admit that you did the scratches .Even if they are minor ,you did it.

And do you think you get some service for $10 in Australia ?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

I just came back from Koh Tao and I rented a bike on Chalok Bann Kao JT travel. It is only 200 baht and 5000 baht for deposit and copy your passport. I have no problem to get back the deposit. ( I haven't drive to any off road, without any accident, haven't drop the bike. Take care the bike and you will get back your money)

P.S.: Don't drive to any off road as it will crack the bottom of bike and so easy to drop it. You will pay a lot if you do this. Also, be careful of the crazy driver at night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
110 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

We hired scooters at 'island' shop. 200 baht per day. We took some photos of the bikes that we hired in case of dispute later on. No dispute. It was good. However, we had to remind of the guy to give us discount that he promised. You get discount if you use more than certain days. I think it was 5 or 6 days.

We also used another shop because "Island" didn't have a automatic gear scooter. I don't know the name of it, but it was across the gas station in Mae Haad when you go up the road (7up street). That place was good and the bike was in a good condition.

We also used 'Save Bungalows' scooter. One of scooter was not quite good. Also, they didn't give us the deposit back and we also forgot at first, but we went back to get it. So, my advice would be "Please don't forget the deposit and any discount backt!

27. Re: Advice re reliable bike scooter rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao