We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stupid mistake which others can hopefully keep in mind..

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Topic
Stupid mistake which others can hopefully keep in mind..

I just wanted to share this with everyone, which is one of the stupidest thing I have done in a long time! Hopefully knowing this will keep others (definitely me) from repeating it. I arrived in Koh Tao yest. Am doing the OW course here over the next few days. In the evening yest we strolled around the Sairee area, ate dinner had a few beers and decided to head back to our hotel - Sensi Paradise. Debated whether to walk back or get a taxi. Talked to a taxi driver from the standard taxi stand near the 7-11 in Sairee and he showed us a board saying 400 baht to Sensi. I had just withdrawn a 30 X 1000 baht notes from the ATM next to 7-11. We reached our hotel in around 10 mins. And then I just took out four notes from my freshly withdrawn stack and handed over to the cab driver. He seemed to readily accept it and did not even count the notes and left. I noticed this reaction but failed to read more into it. Obviously I had paid him 4k instead of 400. Soon realized this and went back looking for him and found him too. But he insisted I had paid him 400 and showed me 4 X 100 baht notes which he had recieved from me. I asked him how much did he charge the 1 more passenger he had dropped right after us and he quickly responded 200 but obviously failed to account for those 2X100 notes. After a few minutes of arguing I took him to the police station. The police officer who spoke little English just seemed totally unwilling to help me. Even after proving to him that there was no way the driver could only have 4 X 100 baht notes if he received 4 from me and 2 more from the next passenger, he said he couldn't do much. Not surprising given he would probably ask for a cut for himself later. I was just a tourist who he could gain nothing by helping. Except that he would be truly serving his duty which was clearly not important for him at all. I asked him to atleast give me a police report for the incident which he agreed.

Now I am sitting here with this police report in my hand thinking if it will be worth pursuing this and going to the court with very little belief in the judicial system around here. Or should I just leave it there. I could approach the taxi cab company manager if there is one but again not sure if that will help too.

Anyway hopefully this long blabber will help others avoid a stupid and very easy to make mistake when tired and drunk.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,824 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Stupid mistake which others can hopefully keep in mind..

Not a prayer and certainly not worth the stress to try and follow this up. Chalk it up to experience and enjoy your holiday.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Stupid mistake which others can hopefully keep in mind..

i wish i could withdraw 30,000 bht at a time from an atm

it would save quite a bit in withdrawal fees

you must have a good bank

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,356 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Stupid mistake which others can hopefully keep in mind..

Same thing happened to me. I cashed £ to Baht on arrival at Bangkok, enough to pay for our bungalow for 8 weeks plus about 6000 baht extra for first weeks spend. When we checked in at our resort I just gave the guy the envelope for full amount which he checked and took but didn't say anything. Wasn't until we went out for a meal and I came to pay I realised I'd given him the full amount. Fortunately the restaurant owner trusted me to return next night after I'd drawn more from ATM. Of course, the guy at Reception said I'd only given him full amount and when I contacted owners they said money in till had balanced. Didn't see the guy after that. Turns out he was an alckie and had gone on a bender at our expense!

Lesson leaned!!!

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Stupid mistake which others can hopefully keep in mind..

Sad story, of course...but i think would happen the same thing in Italy...

I say that 400 bht from Sairee to Sensi Paradise is another robbery!!

Hi all!

15. Re: Stupid mistake which others can hopefully keep in mind..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 22, 2013