We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Tao - 1 night

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Tao - 1 night

We've already booked 10 nights in Koh Samui. I was looking at day trips to Koh Tao but tempted to stay 1 night and get a better feel for the place.

Any ideas how best to do this (i) DIY with ferry/hotel or (ii) is there such a tour that would suit us, that included ferry and say snorkelling - happy to sort hotel out myself and re-join tour next day.

Thanks in advance, Brian

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
The Diver's Boat
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Boat Rentals, Day Trips
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

It's almost 2 hours there and 2 hours back so I would definitely say have at least an overnight. You can grab the first Lompryah ferry in the morning from Maenam at 8am arriving Koh Tao at 9.45. Lomprayah also run snorkelling tours to Nang Yuan Island which is 10 minutes on from Koh Tao, it's really stunning there, then you grab the last ferry back to Koh Tao for the night.

Mentioned in this post
Maenam Beach
Maenam Beach
1,069 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

Thanks Cassnu, that would be perfect for us. The Lompryah website only has a 1 day snorkelling tour or return ferry, so I've sent them an enquiry email to see if we can join the tour but come back the next day.

I guess the other option is just book the ferry and then sort out snorkelling when we get there.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

You can just hop on the ferry at Samui then get off at Nang Yuan and then get the last ferry back to Koh Tao later.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

Thanks again, a couple of questions if you don't mind...

(i) does the ferry actually stop at Nang Yaun or do I need to get another boat...can't see a stop/time on website

(ii) I take it there are plenty of places to hire snorkelling gear once at Nang Yuan?

Thanks, Brian

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

1. It does stop at Nang Yuan - although they don't show it as an official stop on the website.

2. I'm not sure about hiring, you would think so but might be an idea to take some from Samui just to be sure as there is limited everything on NY, it's government owned island and there's only one resort there and limited places to eat.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

Hi Brian

Everything Cassnu said is spot on.

Koh Nang Yuan has one resort so therefore one restaurant, bar, shop etc. Everything is at a higher price and yes you can hire snorkel stuff there but it will be cheaper to hire or buy before you get there.

Personally I prefer the snorkel trips around Koh Tao. I find the snorkelling better on the east coast of Koh Tao. This trip includes Nang Yuan too. However, with just one night on Koh Tao you would have to do a private tour with a longtail boat.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Nang Yuan
Koh Nang Yuan
2,534 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

Thanks lushlynds2506...if I'm correct are you saying you think it would be better to go on the Lompryah 1 day tour...does it go to multiple sites?

If we just get the ferry and stay say 1 night (no tour), any idea how much we are likely to pay for a boat to take us snorkelling? And are they easy to sort out? And are we better with a private tour?

Sorry, so many questions....;-)

Brian

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

Hi

The Lomprayah does multiple visits on the one day tour. Which, yes, in my opinion is better than just the one and would be better than just 1 night on Koh Tao and spending the day at Koh Nang Yuan.

A private longtail boat, which would take you round the island for the day, should cost around 2000THB. The benefits of a group tour is mainly a toilet on board and food and water. Yes they are easy to sort out and can be done once on Koh Tao.

I would say 1 night is not worth staying on Koh Tao. 2 would be a minimum. The Lomprayah day tour is a very good option from Koh Samui and is a much cheaper option.

Hope this helps a little

Lynds

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Koh Nang Yuan
Koh Nang Yuan
2,534 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
9. Re: Koh Tao - 1 night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 20, 2013