We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Tao

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winter Park...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Tao

We have decided on advice from tripadvisor forum input (thanks so much!) to go to Koh Tao insteadof Koh Lipe in May. Wondering now what advice anyone has about 1) Dive shops that at reputable and 2) where to stay. We are in our forties but not stuffy but not party all night girls either. Ideally, we would like somewhere a little more quiet with a nice beach. We are hoping to spend about less than 3000 Baht / night. Any advice would be most helpful:) Thanks!

Sudi

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Tao

Hi

May is low season so not busy and you can get a good price on some accomodation. The party all night scene isn't in your face that time of year either so if you want the best of all worlds stay in the north end of Sairee beach. if you want it quieter then take a look at Chalok Baan Kao, it's a good sized resort with a good selection of facilities. If you want more isolation then look at the east coast, Tanote Bay maybe a good option.

There's a lot of good dive shops around the island, it depends on what you are looking for. Have a read of the reviews

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g303910-Activi…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g303910-Activi…

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
184 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Tao

So choosing a dive shop on Koh Tao is hard as there as sooooooo many. Look in both 'Tours' and 'Attractions' on Trip Advisor (for Koh Tao) and you will see some honest reviews of dive shops. As for where to stay, Chalok Baan Kao is a nice quiet beach on the south of the island, and from there you have a short walk to Freedom Beach and Shark Bay.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Tao

There are over 40 dive centres here so its about choosing the right one for you which can be a little overwhelming.

You know a little about what you want in terms of location and environment - but also think a bit about what you want from the dive school too. You dont say if you are learning or fun diving ....

Have a read of the reviews as no1 pointed out.....but think about group size and facilities too.. if you are here for a while you can always pop your head into your top few centres to check them out personally when you get here....

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Tao

Oh Thank you so much! I LOVE that Rocktopus Dive logo..so cool. We are diving for fun and will be there for about 6 nights...I was also thinking about going over and checking out Phi Phi Don after Koh Tao. Is that realistic? We have fifteen days, will spend the first 2 nts in BKK and then up to Chiang Mai for 3 nights and then South. Is it worth it to try to "island hop"? Any recommendations for other places to see in the South? So many conflicting reports, etc. Also, I think we will have to stay in Koh Samui one night bc our flight gets in around 3 pm. I hate to take advantage of you all but any adviceyou have is MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks again....

Sudi

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Tao

Hi Sudi

Yes, you will have to spend the night on Samui if you're arriving in the afternoon. If you do a quick search in the forum there's a few places people have suggested to stay in the same situation.

Can I just carify, the 6 nights you say you will spend in Koh Tao is that taking into consideration your one night on Samui? Do you then have more time to visit Phi Phi or would you be splitting the 6 nights?

As I assume you have been reading the Andaman coast is fast approaching the monsoon season that time of year and whilst weather is nothing but unpredictable you do run the higher risk of getting bad weather, or at least unsuitable dive weather at that time of year.

Once you factor in travelling across country, even flying takes up most of the day, you may be better off staying east and visiting another island or beach resort on the mainland. Koh Phangan, Koh Samui and Hua Hin are places you may like to have a look at.

Lynds

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Tao

Thank you Lynds..you are so right, I had not taken in to account all of the travel time, etc. I did hear again and again that the Andaman coast would be in monsoon, I just did not want to believe it (sigh...). I was looking at Koh Phangan but will also check ouyt Hua Hin. Thank you for all your help:)

What are your thoughts on Sensi Resort?

Sudi

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Tao

You can do Koh Tao and add in nights on Koh Phangan or Koh Samui, very easy to ferry between them .

If you do the Tao, Phangan and Samui you get a great mix of islands

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Tao

I think most schools are the same on Koh Tao with some better and some worse, I wouldn't spend my money with Ban's Diving as the owner is a "not nice man" and the service is crap, large classes / groups too. Anyone else would be fine, try out Master Scuba Diver.

9. Re: Koh Tao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, May 01, 2013