We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving advice needed!

san francisco
4 posts
Save Topic
Diving advice needed!

Hi!

I'm going to Thailand but never been diving before and want to get certified. I'd greatly appreciate your advice!

I'll be in Thailand in the beginning of Jan and was planning to go to Koh Tao but then read that the Andamen Sea is best during this time of year. Is that true?

The scoop is I have six days (including travel) for this portion of my trip and would ideally like something beautiful and off the beaten path.

The Similans sound amazing but I have the impression that your staying on a boat the whole time and its for more experienced divers. Wasn't sure if that was accurate...

Your advice on this would be great!

thanks!

Amanda

Ithaca, NY
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving advice needed!

Amanda,

I am going to learn to dive in March, perhaps in Koh Tao at Ban's Diving resort. How did your trip go? Any advice?

Warren

warren@ithaca.edu

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving advice needed!

Hi,

I dived round Koh Tao last year (2005) the dive sites are great, some excellent marine life.

However, they are very busy so its a bit like the diving equivalent of going to Ikea on a sunday afternoon. V busy , difficult to follow your guide at times.

I dived with Coral Grand and while not the cheapest their facilities are very good, the instructors very friendly and really know their stuff and the boat is great (some of the other dive schools boats are very shabby) Also the number of divers to guide/ instructor is very good (around 6-1) which is somethign you need if just starting out diving.