We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
552 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

Which is a good dive school in Koh Tao for the open water course ???....i am not looking for the cheapest option but the best and most reliable school with good teaching and safety standards...

norway
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

i dont work in koh tao but i have worked all over the world as an instuctor for the last 15 years,my best advice would be to go and vist 3-4 different dive schools,ask how the course is run,like how many days?the norm is 4 days all over the world in tourist places however i do here of 3 day courses on tao,i would avoid that.maybe ask if you can have the course in your own language,ask to meet the instructor in person,instructors come in all shapes and sizes and personalities.

its really worth spending a morning going around doing this research,it will pay off,the course is the same all over the world but the instructors are not!

a few names off the top of my head-easy divers,budda,big blue,planet divers.i have visited tao on and off for the last 10 years and will be there again in febuary just for a few days,i will shop around again to see who i want to dive with.have fun,and please ask for more info if needed

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

i will say IMPIAN DIVERS .. is not a dive factory ... contact rob .

bangkok
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

the things is not wich "good dive school" but who s gone be your instructor !!

cause almost all dive scholl don t really care about who working for them ,just care sales courses or equipment it s just a PADI business... welcome to koh tao !

Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

I have just spent 5 nights at Big Blue and they were fantastic. It was not a dive factory, small groups, my instructor was fantastic. One the boat out to dive sites there are normally a few groups on board meaning there are a few instructors and I would have felt anyone of them would have been fantastic.

For me it was a toss up between Bans and Big Blue, I am so glas I chose Big Blue. Bans felt like a factory, get you in the door trained and out the next day, big blue was a very relaxed and friendly environment.

Highly recommend it.

Good Luck.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

One more vote for Impian Divers: http://www.impian-divers.com

Thanks to 2nd poster akuma666 for the tip.

I recently went diving with my husband. He is an experienced diver, while I did a Discover Scuba to see if I liked diving.

I am so happy we found Mr. Robert and his diving school, with his calm approach and teaching style he took away all my fears. I was a bit nervous upfront, but he made me feel relax. People on the island say he is the most friendly man on Koh Tao, well he for sure is!

Next time we go again for getting my open water license. Can not wait.

It is a small diving school with very personal approach. Diving in small groups, I had a one on one training. Dutch management with very high standards for safety and equipment. All equipment very well maintained. They teach in English, Dutch, German and French. When we were there we saw all the boats from the big dive factories, when seeing the big groups we were extra happy to be with Mr. Robert.

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

Hands up for Impian. I sourced around for a good dive school for my OW and AOW, and finally decided on Impian for (1) its friendly and open environment; (2) small group training; (3) relaxed teaching style - afterall, I am on my vacation; and (4) well-maintained dive equipment. Robert of Impian did not make me feel like just another invoice number.

My stay in Koh Tao was for 8 days. My dive classes took me 6 days to complete and I had originally planned to do other touristy things in Koh Tao i.e. trekking to view points, cliff jumping, abseiling etc. But just 1 day without diving with Impian got me feeling a sense of loss. On my last day, I signed up for more dives.

Go with Impian, the friendships and people you meet will form part of an experience you will never forget!

wykikamoocow
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

I did my PADI course with Buddha View. They were fantastic. We were trained by instructor called James. He was really really good. I cant say enough great things about the place and will certainly be back soon.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

Big Blue have a very professional, swept up school with good kit and friendly instructors speaking almost every language possible. Go visit them and dont be put off by the 'Poo Stream' which isn't there fault.

Berlin, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

Hi

I am a dive instructor and live on Koh Tao. Which dive school to choose has not much to do with the price. As they all have about the same price for diving courses in Koh Tao. The course satisfaction it self depends to 90% on your instructor. Try to get the course in your own language if you are not comfortable with English. Your best bet is to find a place to crash first and then choose your diving school after comparing a couple of them. You also can have a look at this website which pretty much explains how the diving courses are done here:

www.thailand-taucher.net/en/diving-courses/

Have fun and enjoy

Birmingham
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which diving school in Koh Tao for open water ?

Impian Dive Resort for certain! Ignore all the touts that approach you when you arrive on the island and ask for directions to this fantastic little dive school.

Robert's approach is calm and reassuring and he runs the school out of love for diving and not just as a dive factory.

All in all we couldn't have had a better experience of diving in Koh Tao and this is purely down to the fantastic experience provided by Robert and Impian Dive Resort.

I'm not saying that the other schools are not any good but it was just nice to be in a small group (it was litterally two of us with Robert and another couple with a second instructor) having a lovely relaxed day. We were supposed to be only having a half day diving but we were still out at sea at the end of the day. He really loves what he does and this definately shows.