We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money?

somerset
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much spending money?

I know you have been asked this question before in different forums but would like a reasonably up to date version, perhaps in English pounds if possible.

We are coming mid July staying in Bangkok for 4 days and then on to Koh Tao via bus to Chumpon? and then ferry.

We are staying at the Chintakiri Resort on a B&B basis for 14 nights.

We would be looking to hire moped for the 2 weesk we are in Koh Tao.

How much spending money do you think we would need based on a small amount of shopping, I mean small, trips, entrance fees to temples, getting around costs e.g. sky train, boats etc, snorkelling - but have own stuff, moped and eating out in local restaurants with may be a couple of meals taken in the hotel, with couple of drinks with lunch and more than a couple of drinks in the evenings, with daytime soft drinks, mainly relaxing on different beaches in Koh Tao,

I would rather take more money than we need and bring it home rather than not enough and have to scrimp whilst there.

Would £50 GBP per day be enough which would be roughly £1,000 GBP for the two of us for the 3 weeks(ish).

Hope you can help.

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money?

Have you paid for your hotels in Koh Tao and Bangkok? We recently spent a week on Koh Tao, a week on Koh Phangan and 4 days in Chiang Mai. All of our accommodation and travel was paid for in advance and we spent £900 for 2 of us. However, we didn't hire any vehicles and did next to no shopping (5th trip to Thailand so have already bought anything we liked!) We also found it too hot to drink much alcohol so spending was low on that front too!

Koh Tao is very expensive in comparison to most other parts of Thailand. You'll probably benefit by hiring a bike as taxis are stupidly expensive there. Personally, I'd suggest taking a bit more than £1000 if your accommodation is paid for and a lot more if it isn't.

Manchester
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money?

wow 900 pounds for the 2 of you and you didnt hire any transport, buy any souvenirs and didnt drink much...so what did you end up spending 900 pounds on if you dont mind me asking?

somerset
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money?

Yes, travel and accommodation all paid for>

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money?

Food, drink and a couple of longtail boat trips plus taxis in Samui and Chiang Mai. I considered that we hadn't spent much till I read your response so I worked it out. It works out at 1184 baht per person per day. Considering breakfast costs at least 100 baht, a fruit juice 50-60 baht (3 or 4 a day), vodka (my tipple), 150 baht (3 per evening) - that leaves 434 baht for lunch, dinner, boat trips, taxis, miscellaneous stuff like insect spray, water, etc, I still think that we budgetted well.

Manchester
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money?

alright cool thank you this gives us a better idea. Appreciate it

UK
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much spending money?

Depends on what you do and what the accommodation is; but £1000 would last me 6 weeks to 2 months in nearby Ko Pha-ngan.

newcastle UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much spending money?

That's interesting ! Is there a big difference how expensive Ko Samui,Ko Phangan and Ko Tao are re hotels and activities ? We are going in late August as a family of four ..which island and where on the island would you suggest ? Thanks

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much spending money?

been to thailand 12 consecutive years ,last year went to samui and koh tao.spent much less than £50 per day and that includes accomodation.if you eat thai food in thai restaurants as we did [thai curry ,rice and a beer cost £2.50p in some places,more in others.a bowl of pad thai [delicious noodles with egg ,veggies peanuts etc]cost £1.yes if your drinking gallons of fruit juice and vodka then you will spend money,i prefer to keep myself hydrated with water and have a couple beers of an evening.a large beer can be found for £1.30p,the local thai whiskey and rum is nice [with sprite].so you can spend a little or a lot its up to you,i personally dont feel our enjoyment level suffered as a result of spending a little.

newcastle UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much spending money?

Any comments about which island you preferred between Samui and Tao ? Have you been to Ko Phangan ? Thanks

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much spending money?

prefer koh tao anyday.i like the crystal clear water and snorkelling on koh tao and the lack of mcdonalds ,boots the chemist ,even tesco which they have on samui,but we did enjoy ourselves on mae nam beach samui.i dont really think its about which island ,its more to do with the resort area you are in and if it ticks your boxes.