We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor showers

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoor showers

I notice that many hotels in Koh Tao have outdoor showers. Does this mean that you get eaten alive by mosquitos while showering?! And are the toilets 'outside' too? If this is the case, can anyone recommend a hotel with indoor facilities?

CHINA
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor showers

haha, although i haven't been to thailand, but i don't think all the showers are outdoor, many of my friends have been to but they didn't metion this!!

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,173 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor showers

Budget places often have outdoor showers, in that it's attached to the bungalow, screened around you obviously, but it's open to the sky. I don't ever remember being bitten by a mosquito while showering. You do get some wildlife, though. We had a family of hermit crabs living in our shower/toilet area on Koh Lanta, and geckos and frogs are fairly common. Usually the toilet is more enclosed. A common design for beach bungalows is to have the bungalow on stilts with the toilet/shower cubicle at ground level down a set of stairs(simplifies plumbing requirements). The more you pay, the more likely it's going to be the standard you're accustomed to. But the outdoor showers are nice. It's very pleasant showering in the sunshine.

3. Re: Outdoor showers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 27, 2009