We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

I'm a woman in my 50s, about to visit my college-age daughter. I'm no prude and enjoy night life - to a point... I want some quality beach time, not too touristy, but not too quiet either. Good restaurants, a little shopping, some sights to see. Not sure how else to explain it... We'll be in (wherever we decide) 3-4 days. Suggestions? What's the best bet for these two age groups to hang out?

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

Hi

If you have 3/4 days then koh ohi phi you will have both party and quite time you need.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

Well all those places are very touristy IMO, but all have something to offer. As Pea says Phi Phi can offer you both. The main area is very overdone and touristy and has a lot of people, but there are quieter areas. Railay is lovely, but it's really just the one beach (the other is mudflats). There are a few bars and restaurants, mainly on the mudflat side and there are some stunning rock formations, A lot of day trippers come to Railay and it becomes overrun during the day. Phuket obviously has the infamous Patong Beach area which isn't for everyone, but it certainly does offer nightlife, you could consider somewhere like Kata Beach which is an easy taxi ride to Patong and still has plenty of it's own nightlife, but lower key than Patong, but obviously Phuket is pretty touristy too.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

I would stay in Kata, the Kata Beach resort is a good option and you have a good choice of bars and restaurants nearby and you can always get a taxi into Patong for more shopping choices.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

Those are all really busy places, why not choose at least one chilled destination like Lanta or Mook ?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

Hello everybody, I really need help. I will spend 5 days (April 29 to May 3th) in south Thailand and have no idea which beach to go. I would like to find a beach not that touristic, with good snorkelling, hopefully caves where to kayak around and nice but not crazy night life. I would love to go to an island but I am afraid of spending too much time getting there from and back to Bangkok. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

I have never been to phuket (because I heard it was too touristy) but phi phi and railay are both also extremely touristy....

I would choose railay because of the naturak beauty...it is soooooo nice. To the person that said railay is just the one beach, I consider it 3 beaches... theres the main railay beach, tonsai beach which has a cute hippie vibe and phra nang beach which is soooo pretty

The only thing phi phi has going for it is the nightlife

7. Re: Phuket? Phi Phi? Or Railay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:49 am, March 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Ko Phi Phi Don