We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling trip from koh phi phi outrigger

Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling trip from koh phi phi outrigger

Hi,

I'll be staying in outrigger in November. How easy would it be to get to bamboo & monkey island, maya bay etc. We'd like to go snorkelling too. I know people have mentioned long tail boats before but how do they work? Do you just go to a guy with a boat on the beach and get a price for the day? Are there any good day trips which leave from this area?

I will be staying in phuket and like the look of the phi phi sunrise trip with simba seatrips but don't know if there is much point as I will be staying in phi phi anyway.

Any advice or tips much appreciated!

Essex UK
Level Contributor
644 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling trip from koh phi phi outrigger

As you will be staying at Phi Phi, I wouldn't bother with a day trip from Phuket.

There is some fair snorkeling to be had in the bay right at the front of Outrigger.

You can also walk through the 'village' at the back of the resort, then on through an old coconut plantation to Lana Bay. Here you will also find some good snorkeling, and often, this bay is completely empty.

Bamboo and Mosquito Islands are easy longtail trips from Outrigger and both offer very good snorkeling and both can be done on the same trip.

A good longtail driver will take you just offshore from Mosquito where you can find some of the best snorkeling at Phi Phi.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling trip from koh phi phi outrigger

Hi. Have to agree with Leigh about the snorkelling in the bay in front of the hotel - we saw some wonderful fish, but make sure you have dive shoes so you can wade out safely. We booked a longtail boat for the day from a bar in the village behind - on the right as you leave the hotel grounds. I think it cost 1800 baht for the day, but it might have been less. The captain took us to some good spots and we even had the fortune (or misfortune in my case) to see a sea snake swimming beneath us. However, although they didn't advertise it, the guy in the Knock Out Bar (left out of the grounds) does accompany trips. He used to be the scuba instructor at the hotel; he also speaks good English. You can also organise trips through the hotel, but they are much more expensive.

It's a lovely hotel and we haven't come across such good snorkelling elsewhere in Thailand.

Mags

Toronto
Level Contributor
242 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling trip from koh phi phi outrigger

Just got back from 5 day stay at Outrigger and there are trips right from the resort. We took a speedboat trip from Outrigger to Maya Bay, Monkey bay and several other spots. We had great snorkelling and were able to go right into Maya Bay. The Longtail boats could not get into Maya Bay but had to go to the back of the island. People then had to climb up rope/bamboo ladders to get onto the island and walk overland to Maya Bay....it looked dangerous and I am glad we took the speed boat instead. There are lots of trips available right from Outrigger resort. They also have a great dive shop and instructors if you want to try diving.

4. Re: Snorkelling trip from koh phi phi outrigger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 15, 2014