We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

Which Ko Phi Phi Don hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Topic
Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

I will be travelling to Phi Phi Don in Aug 2013 and wish to know more info:

1. estimated cost for private hiring a longtail boat from Phi Phi Don to the following attractions for sightseeing and stops for snorkelling (7.30am- 5pm):

Viking Cave, Lohsamah Bay,Pileh Bay/ Lagoon, Maya Bay, spot for black tip reef shark

Bamboo Island, Hin Klang

Mosquito Island

Monkey Beach

2. Is the above cost included of mask and snorkel,fin, safety jackets and maybe wet suit?

3. how many people the longtail boat take- 6 pax?

4. Is it possible to cover the following itinerary in one full day, or best to split it to 2 1/2 day trips? If so, how much is the additional charges?

5. Can you recommend a good boat "driver" or operator/ owner who speaks English?

6. Is the sea condition rough in Aug 2013?

7. When is the best time to return to the shores since the sea tend to be rough in the evening?

8. Is it best to travel to Phi Phi Leh first in the morning, and then cover Bamboo Island in the afternoon or the other way round?

9. Which is the best place to see sunset in Ko Phi Phi?

Any input re the following is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

I have the same question but not quite in as much detail. We have 2 or 4 people who would want to hire a longtail boat driver for the day to go to Maya Bay, Bamboo Island, and snorkeling. Possibly Monkey Beach.

How much should we expect to pay? We'd probably want an early start to try to beat the crowds. And is going down to the pier and hiring someone the day of the best thing to do?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

Hello, Whitney

We hired a longtail boat and driver from Tonsai Pier last Christmas. Cost for a day for 4 of us was 1,200Bht although you might do a little better than that. There are "dozens" of longtails at the pier waiting to get hired. Easy.

We "circumnavigated" the island, went to Jasmine Restaurant at Laemtong Beach for lunch, stopped off at Monkey Beach etc. The beauty of the longtail is that you can choose where to go according to your own tastes.

Maya Bay was spoilt by the "package" tourists later in the day so much so that we didn't go into the bay. Definitely go early.

Tragic

Edited: 7:30 pm, June 21, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

I think it would be ideal to get up and try to go by 8:00 AM and go to Maya Bay first before the crowds of tourists. What time do the tour boats usually go into Maya Bay?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

We have been twice over the last 3 years (plus the last time when we saw the masses of boats and people as we went past and didn't go in). We arrived there about 9.30 a.m. the first two times. (11 am the last time when we went by).

The first year it was OK. The second year an invasion (mainly by Russian package tours) was already well under way by 9.30. There was a bit of "lack of consideration for others" also which didn't help.

I guess it has to be early rising and be there before 9 a.m.

Tragic

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,861 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

I got a longtail from Phi Phi over to Maya Bay in February this year, got there about 8am, plenty of people around all ready on the beach, although the speedboats didn't start arriving until about 8:30am or so.

Saw a photo taken about 2pm earlier this year, the beach was just lined with speedboats, looked absolutely awful.

The earlier the better (as far as avoiding crowds), although both times I've been early, the beach has been in the shade as the sun had yet risen above the large hill behind the beach.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

I guess we'll try to go by 7:00 or 8:00 (are there longtail drivers waiting for business up that early?) and make Maya Bay our first stop. How is Bamboo Island and Monkey Beach in the afternoon? Just as bad?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

When we went, Bamboo Island was fine so far as "room to move" was concerned. This is probably because Maya Bay is the magnet for everyone and Bamboo Island is further out and many of the boats don't go there.

Our longtail driver took us to another inlet where we saw the monkeys. There was no one else there. You could ask your longtail driver to do this as I expect Monkey Beach gets overloaded, too.

Tragic

Edited: 8:10 pm, June 22, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,861 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

Been to Bamboo Island twice this year in Feb & May. The 1st time, got there about 7:45am, just 2 other people on the beach. The 2nd time, arrived about 11:00am, it was busy & speedboats all over the place.

Again, go early if you want photo's of deserted beaches, no crowds of people & the noise of speedboat engines.

I've always been able to find a longtail boat early in the morning

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

Thanks everyone! Is Maya Bay even worth it? Should we skip it altogether?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Longtail boat hiring to nearby sites- cost, itinerary etc.

Hi,

I just wanted to find out a few things myself. I am going in September and staying at Holiday Inn Phi Phi, which I am aware is on the other side of the Island to the main pier. I am a little worried about access in and out of here during this time if I visit other islands etc.

Are there longtail boats waiting for work at Laem Tong ready and eager to be hired for a day? I am wanting to go to Maya Bay or am I better going to main pier? (The Beach has been my favourite book since I was a teen a few years before the movie came out, when the movie came out yes I have ALWAYS wanted to go to "the beach" realising it is not the deserted beach shown in the movie.)

Do the hired operators just wait on their boats until you are ready to leave? First time traveller here.

Sorry for hijacking your post but my questions are related and I have been googling and searching trip advisor :-)

Thanks in advance,

S.