We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

Which Ko Phi Phi Don hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
189 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

We really want to visit Maya Bay and really, really, really want to visit it at a time when it isn't crawling with tourists so as far as I know, we have two options. The first is the organised Maya Bay Camping Trip, which I have mixed feelings about due to the large volume of complaints about rowdy and noisy drunks (which is odd as its the stark opposite to the natural beauty most people seek when visiting the bay) or is it possible to hire a private boat taxi and get there for sunrise and maybe a few hours privately afterwards. I know that tourists have to depart by 4 pm which is why I'm confused as to how the Camping Trip guys are able to visit the island over night?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

If you stay on Phi Phi Don, a private longtail is very easy to arrange either for early morning before the crowds or after 4 pm

London
Level Contributor
189 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

Okay, so the thing then that confuses me is whether there is some regulation against visitors attending the island during particular hours because if not, why would all the regular tourists get booted off at 4 pm ... or is it simply that they leave at that time as part of mass organised tours from a distance?

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

^Toures from Phuket ect. ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

I would head over first thing in the morning, there is something very special about Phi Phi and surrounds in the first hours of daylight, calmness and beauty, make a day of it and also take inb Bamboo & Mosquito Islands and perhaps stop for lunch at Jasmin on Laem Tong - yeh, heaven.

Essex UK
Level Contributor
644 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

Hire a longtail, head for Maya Bay as early as you can. Aim to get there by seven or seven thirty. Chances are............you'll then have some time with very few others around. Typical time to hire your boat and driver for is six hours. This will give you time to see some other lovely spots.

6. Re: Maya Bay Camping or Private Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 21, 2013