We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency?

Which Ko Phi Phi Don hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency?

Hi there, we are coming over for 3 weeks over xmas and new year travelling to BKK, PP and Koh Phagnan, what is the best currency to bring with us- we don't know whether to bring all Baht or keep some English etc?

Any tips on things to do on the island of PP we r staying at PP island village...Cant wait :0)

Thank you

Rachel

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,991 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency?

Bring only pounds and exchange for baht in Thailand for a much better rate. Best of all, if you have a no-fee ATM card, get your baht from ATM machines for the best possible retail rate.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency?

does an ATM card have to be a credit card? i only have a debit card and so does my boyfriend...thanks for the reply!

Rachel

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,991 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency?

Anything with a Cirrus, Electronic Cash, Mastercard, Visa logo will do the trick. If it works in the UK to get cash out of a machine, it'll probably work in Thailand. And debit cards are better than credit cards because they don't nail you for a cash advance when all you really want to do is get at the hard-earned money that's in your account. Ask your bank.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency?

thanks for that i will def ask them before i go! we are only in bangkok for 2 days, wanna do some shopping and some sightseeing...any tips to must see/do?

:0)

Rachel

England
Level Contributor
167 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency?

If you haven't got one already I'd recommend opening a Nationwide Flexaccount.

If you use their debit card [NOT credit card my mum made that expensive mistake] they don't charge you for taking money out of ATM's abroad or for buying stuff on it. Well worth it to beat the fees.

They will also give you £100 overdraught easily which is useful if like me you just use the account for holidays and are not sure how much money you have left in there cos of the exchange rate and that...

I will be on Phi Phi for New Year - can't wait either!!

6. Re: Currency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 14, 2009