We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

sydney
Level Contributor
160 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

hi all...

my wife and i are planning a few weeks in march next year. apart from flying in to phuket, we've settled so far on accommodation on ko jum and ko lanta. we're after a third and we're keen on phi phi - it sounds nice and laid back and the scenery looks beautiful.

but...

we've read alot of comments from people who consider phi phi to be drained of it's life and beauty. the general theory from them is that tourism has totally taxed the natural resources on offer and left an ugly scab (excuse the description).

obviously we want to go and experience the beauty. we're worried we'll see something akin to hat chaweng on ko samui (apologies to those who like hat chaweng).

beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but i'm just curious to hear some objective thoughts. ultimately, i think i've read alot more positive reviews than negative. but it only takes one negative to plant the seed of doubt.

cheers...

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
304 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

We'd never been to Thailand at all. In late August we landed in Phuket, stayed at Kata which we liked then went to Phi Phi to take a look on way to Krabi and we LOVED Phi Phi! We decided to got straight back after Krabi. We loved it because TO US the beaches were gorgeous, the food and people lovely as per Thailand way, the scenary was amazing like the crystal waters, the beach, the mountains either side of that narrow spit of land where the buildings are, we loved the laid back atomosphere. We loved that the retailers don't hassle you at all like in the other parts of Thailand we went! We heard the scuba diving is amazing. We walked up the high peak and looked over the island. And we kayaked and saw monkeys. There were lots of deserted areas in that low season time. I was surprised as had read the bad hotel reviews all over here and really was worried about staying there before we arrived. As soon as we got there we loved it. Sunset walks and yummy dinners! But hotel wise again - we had 3 nights at Cabana and 2 at PP Palm Tree and were very happy with both.

We talked about dropping out of our normal lives living there for a bit - pipe dream but that's how much we liked it! Obviously everyones different in what they like. Phi Phi was the highlight of our trip actually! If you click on my name you should be able to click through to the photos i loaded up.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

I uploaded some pix from Krabi included Phi Phi.

I found it a really nice place but still didn't like it with reason unknown.

Guess people have different likes and dislikes. So i understand what you may be worried about but you might give it a try. Go and see if you like, later you can say that you really hate it like Chaweng beach

sydney
Level Contributor
160 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

thank you zorro. you certainly represent well the pro phi phi response. it's almost reassuring to read phi phi still has this effect on people.

and yalowa, i guess truer words were never spoken. at the end of the day, you take a risk wherever you go for holidays - you might like it, you might not.

Phi Phi Island
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

hello, well im biased as i have been living on Phi PHi now for 4 years and love it. All i would say is if you are coming from such a distance i wouldnt let someone elses opinion dampen your views on this island. If you are here in Thailand i would at least come and see and decide for yourself, and maybe (I think yes) you will see that Phi Phi has such an amazing beauty.

Have fun and happy travels to you.

sydney
Level Contributor
160 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

thanks tigerbar, i was hoping to hear from you. and fair point too. at the end of the day, people's opinions are just that - opinions. and we all need to form our own.

cheers...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
518 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

Tigerbar is right (and the bar is great, totally cool, chill vibe) BUT it's a bit tired for me. Last year was my last year going. The moron backpackers (and I'm sure some of the normal tourists, too) destroyed the place. Rubbish everywhere, booze non-stop, those trite and cliched dreadlocked retards don't give a rat's rectum about the beauty of Phi Phi. They're faux environmentalists who crap on the beauty.

With that said, you MUST go to Phi Phi. There are still amazing areas to be explored. Just get there, get a walking map and get lost., You'll enjoy it more than simply sitting in Loh Dalum.

sydney
Level Contributor
160 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

so... tigerbar is an actual bar on phi phi?

the yobbish backpackers, the rubbish, the endless boozing... i'm assuming you're referring to the central part of phi phi between ton sai and lo dalam?

to be honest, this pretty much encapsulates how i perceive phi phi to be from all i've read - gone the same way as chaweng on ko samui.

but... i also believe there is still great beauty there - away from the isthmus. perhaps it's a better idea to stay "out of town" on the east coast, or further north at laem thong.

and allow me to clarify. none of my thinking about phi phi is a negative comment on phi phi itself - it's a negative comment on how mankind has the ability to leech and destroy places of natural wonder.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
518 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

Captn

Yes, Tigerbar is a bar but also they post here. They're a great source of info.

You are correct about the rubbish and the ne-er do wells. The "main" beach are is just a mess. But, like I said, the rest of the island is amazing. The walk up to the top of the viewpoint, while a bit rough if you're not in shape, is stunning. I prefer to make the trek first thing in the morning.

You can still stay at the main hotels but Long Beach and the other side where the Holiday Inn is are great, "isolated" areas. BUT, you're way off the beaten path so if you feel like a night of drinking, you're not within staggering distance home and the longtails rape you on fees to get back at 1am.

Look, I love Phi Phi. Aside from the Maldives, Phi Phi is my fav place to go for a real feeling of leaving the modern world, yet just connected enough to where you feel you haven't gone off the grid. It's just the morons who don't care, they make it less appealing.

Have fun. I always did.

scott

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

hiya i have never been either to phi but will be arriving there in the next month, have been reading these messages and was wondering where is the best beach to head to in phi phi? long beach as one of the messages suggested?

wer 22 yrs old and yes we do like a bit of fun but not like chwaeng on samui!!

are there beaches that offer the stunning scenery and a couple of bars and resturants with out resembling something like chwaeng? wer only there a few days so we want to make the most of it and avoid the chaos of the the port the ferry will drop us off at

sorry to intrude on ur thread!

Phi Phi Island
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Phi Phi - beautiful or broken? Opinions please...

hello Capt_Funkelicious yes we are a bar on Phi Phi but i am here as a source of help and local information.

Phi Phi is very busy and yes full of backpackers but the beauty still shines though.

If you are in the area i would say just vist and see for yourself.