We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Air from NY to Bangkok

New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thai Air from NY to Bangkok

Just wondering if anybody can give me some info on the plane ride to Bangkok from NY. I know it's a very long trip and was wondering if flying economy is torture. Would it be worth the money to upgrade to first class. I fear that I will go crazy sitting in a small economy section for 17 hours. Please advise...thanks so much!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
518 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Air from NY to Bangkok

I'm a travel snob when it comes to flying up front BUT have flown to Thailand in back...and I'm doing it again in a few mos. I drop an Ambien CR after my first meal and I'm out. If cost isn't an issue or miles or whatever, use them. If you're hell-bent on not being in back, try getting a biz class or FC consolidator. I priced out my October flight and it was $2900 for biz class for O'hare to BKK via Tokyo and almost 8 grand in FC (A SMOKIN DEAL by the way).

Clearly, you're treated much better in the middle or front but to me the Ambien is the great equalizer. If cost is an issue then buck up and deal. It's really not THAT bad if you have an iPod or a variety of books to keep you busy.

Hope that helps

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Air from NY to Bangkok

Check out Fodor's Asia forum. There is lots of discussion on this. It seems that most people prefer to fly on certain Asian airlines that have "economy plus" seating that costs a couple hundred more than economy and gives you a lot more leg room.

In general, I think it depends on your personal needs. I fly a lot and always in economy, and it doesn't bother me at all. I also take a sleeping pill. If you have miles, you can always upgrade with them to business class.

3. Re: Thai Air from NY to Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 04, 2009