We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

Hi everyone, first time poster here!

My boyfriend and I are going to Thailand in December, and on the last leg of the trip we're having a few days on Koh Tao and then looking at moving on to Koh Phangan from 25th Dec til 29th Dec.

We're in our mid thirties and although we love a good messy party, this holiday is more of a relaxation thing. So... our query is with regards to the FMP on 25th Dec, will it die down a bit straight after the 25th, or do you think a lot of visitors will stay on and party hard til the next one which is on NYE?

We'd love to go to this island, but ideally are thinking about getting the best balance of being able to join in the nightlife if we choose to, but also not spending days trapped in a nocturnal 'no-choice' situation lol! (God I'm starting to sound like my mother)

Any advice would be really helpful and appreciated!

Nat

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

Hi

Koh phangan will be extra busy until the end of the year. They have fullmoon party, Xmas eve party, Xmas party, NYE party and the day after party's party. You will find that towards or closer to end if the year there will be more people heading to the island. Its PEAK season that time or year most and probably all hotels on the island will ask for minimum stay 5-7 nights. But if you stay away from party area you might be able of find 3 nights minimum stay.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

As Pea says it's one party after the other and some places require up to 10 days minimum stay to cover all the parties over that period, so you may not even be able to get a room for such a short time. You could stay on Koh Samui and just get a speed boat over on the night of whichever party/parties you want to attend and then just chill on Samui the other days/nights and there won't be the minimum stay requirement, but some higher end hotels do require you to pay for their Gala evening on NYE - this wouldn't apply to backpacker hangouts and bungalows, but you will need to book asap as accommodation on both islands gets booked out early despite the fact it's the tail end of monsoon season on the east coast and season can still be rough through to January.

Ko Pha Ngan...
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

That time of year is very busy, parties or not. You are best off staying on the north part of the island some where more quiet, like Thong Nai Pan or Mae Haad. These areas are not as affected by the parties, as they are quite far away.

Lancashire, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

Thank you so much for replying guys, it's very much appreciated. We've had replies from a couple of places who have the basic huts/bungalows we've been looking for and have no limits on the length of stay which is a real bonus. We'll weigh up the pros and cons of the locations and take it from there! Thanks again for taking the time to reply, there's so much to consider and with this being my first time in Thailand it's difficult making choices with all the options out there! Hope you all have great travels wherever you end up this year :D x

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
367 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

Can't really add to the other excellent posts, but if relaxation is your thing then the North will be better, after all you can go to noise but you can't escape it.

Bear in mind if it's basic in Thailand then it will be basic, so I am not sure what kind of standard your accustomed to.

But whatever you choose I am sure you'll have a great time.

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

The island will definitely be busy at that time but it is still easy to relax in the day and then travel elsewhere to party at night. The beaches on Koh Phangan are rarely crowded even in peak season unlike Samui. If you stay too far North such as Thong Nai Pan and Bottle Beach it can be a real hassle to get to the parties when you want to. Ban Tai is a popular choice for people staying close to the Full Moon but without being in the madness. Just choose a resort that is not geared towards backpackers and you'll be fine. www.dewshore.com is nice in Ban Tai

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

The island will definitely be busy at that time but it is still easy to relax in the day and then travel elsewhere to party at night. The beaches on Koh Phangan are rarely crowded even in peak season unlike Samui. If you stay too far North such as Thong Nai Pan and Bottle Beach it can be a real hassle to get to the parties when you want to. Ban Tai is a popular choice for people staying close to the Full Moon but without being in the madness. Just choose a resort that is not geared towards backpackers and you'll be fine. www.dewshore.com is nice in Ban Tai

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

Bottle Beach has a speed boat that goes to the FMP

Mauritius
Level Contributor
115 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

Is it advisable to stay in bottle beach? I heard the sea might be rough and then you cannot go the party.

What might be the cost of speedboat to the FMP from bottle beach?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Phangan FMP 25th Dec 2014

The owner at Bottle Beach 1 has his own, huge speed boat - I know he runs this for the Canadian Tour groups that go there for the FMP, but whether they go at this time of year I don't know. If all else fails and the sea is rough, there is still a rough, dirt track that a 4 wheel drive can get from BB1 to the main, sealed road, but again if it happened to be monsoonal conditions even this would not be a good option. Any time of year outside of FMP I'd say getting to the party wouldn't be a problem, but during monsoon you just can't predict.

Get answers to your questions about Ko Pha Ngan