We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas and new years

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas and new years

Hi

I am travelling South East Asia for the first time on Dec 8th until mid March. I have very little idea what I am doing and have decided to plan very little.

I have booked NapPark Hostel for my first 3 nights in Bangkok. The only other thing I would like to pre plan is Xmas/NYE. I am told Koh Phangan is the place to go (full moon parties etc). How long would you suggest I stay there? Someone recommended 2 weeks to me earlier.

Would love some suggestions on what type of accommodation to book and when/how long etc.

I have looked at the Electro Hostel for Xmas/NYE. Gets the best reviews on HostelWorld and is close to the action.

I would like to stay in a really nice hotel for some of it. I would also like to spend some time in a mixed dorm, and a private room in a hostel. Then I get a good mix of meeting people, and some luxury.

So, any help? What order should I do the above. How long to stay in KP? Any advice for accom for any of the above? Cost isn't really an issue, just want the best experience possible.

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Xmas and new years

No. You should read the guide books to confirm you agree with what some random on the internet has told you. ;-) Your idea of a good night out might be totally different from mine.

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Xmas and new years

God damn, this is hard work! :)

Any tips on guide books, or any one do?

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Xmas and new years

Lonely Planet or Rough Guides are the best sellers.

I find Lonely Planets less history-ey. But I read about 10 before my trip. So nerr! ;-)

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Xmas and new years

Use sawedee.com, agoda.com or (my favorite) booking.com for rooms.

Skyscanner.com for flights. Thai airways are the best IMO.

With that much time you could fly south, then take the train from Surat Thani north to Chiang Mai. That would be an epic adventure.

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Xmas and new years

One more thought, if you haven't got it already, do your motorbike CBT (compulsory bike training) before you leave. Only £100. And apply for in international drivers permit (IDP). £20. Travel insurance won't pay out if you wrap yourself round a lamp post and don't have both. I can't imagine being in Samui/Phnagan without having a moped to circumnavigate the islands on.

Shops in Thailand will let you hire a bike without either (money talks), but......you will probably die.

With a CBT you are better qualified to ride a bike than 99% of the others people on the road..

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Xmas and new years

You should look at visiting the north around Chiang Mai too if you want to get a feel for the country as north and south are completely different. The islands cater to the tourists and it is a very different culture to places away from the tourist trail. Obviously Chiang Mai is still a tourist destination, but we found it must less in your face than the islands. If you want to attend the FMP in Koh Phangan then you must book prior to arriving and yes you will have to pay the high prices as many others do for the accommodation. There are several parties on around Christmas time, including Chrismas Day and that's why the hotels insist on the 7 days (some require 10 days) bookings. If you don't want to get caught up with staying on KP, you can easily stay on Samui and take a speed boat over to the party on the night as many do.

Geraldton
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Xmas and new years

Hi,

me and my husband are planning our holiday in Thailand. We will be there during Christmas and New Years Eve, but not sure on which of the islands we want to stay. We are thinking about Phi Phi, Samui, Phangan or Tao. We don't really want to party hard but want to use the time to relax. So probably Phangan would be to crowded and busy. Do you have any idea which of these islands are more quiet and not too crowded during this days?

Thanks a lot!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Xmas and new years

Phangan is also in monsoon, so you are better off on the west coast. Phi Phi has parties on the beach, but more low key than Phangan. However, wherever you go on it will be very, very busy as this is peak season. Koh Lanta would be a slightly more laid back choice.

Geraldton
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Xmas and new years

We decided to stay in Phi Phi during xmas and nye. As it will be very busy during this time, do you think we should by boat tickets in advance to make sure that it won't be full or do you think it will be still possible to buy a ticket at the boat station?

Thanks for your answers!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Xmas and new years

If you can buy online prior then I would.