We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

london
Level Contributor
384 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

hello,

I need advice on which ferry to get. We (my toddler daughter and husband) are coming to koh phangan next feb, and arrive at 7am at koh samui airport. It would be better to go to thong sala as we are staying at salad huts, but the ferry leaves at 8am, which is probably cutting it a bit fine, but I am not sure how long it all takes to get there. I have no problem grabbing a taxi if this will get us there for that ferry. Also Dont want to miss it and be at the wrong port, but also don't want to sit around for hours waiting for the thong sala ferry if I can get to had Rin quicker...what do people recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice...also should I per book the tickets or get them on arrival at airport.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,576 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

Hi,

Yes, it is cutting it a bit fine. The Haad Rin Queen departs at 10.30 and is scheduled to arrive at Haad Rin at 11.20. From there take a songtaow (pick up truck) to Thong Sala or quite possibly all the way to Haad Salad. Buy your ferry tickets once you arrive on Koh Samui.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

No point in going to Haad Rin if you are staying at Salad Hut (great place by the way, great food, great staff ). If you grab a taxi you may make it to Maenam in time to catch the ferry to Thong Sala. I've taken the Haad Rin Queen in rough conditions and wouldn't be taking a toddler with me if that was the case, plus you end right down in the south of the island and need to head to the north west. If you can't make the 8am from Maenam, then I would be tempted to go and have a leisurely breakfast somewhere along the beach in Bophut which is only 10-15 minutes from the airport and then grab the 12.30pm Lomprayah from Maenam instead.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

Normally one hour should be ok to get to Maenam, but nowadays luggage takes ages at the airport. We waited something like half an hour for our bags.

Yet I would take the chance and take a private limo to the pier and buy the ticket right there. It should take you about 15 to 20 minutes from the airport to the pier.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

The Seatran leaves from Big Buddha at 8am, which is closer to the airport than Maenam and I am sure you will have no problem catching this ferry. But if you are pressed for time there is an 11:15 Lomprayah ferry from Nathon.

Vienna
Level Contributor
164 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

I can't find that 11:15 Lompraya ferry. Where exactely does it leave from? Or was that time cancelled in the meantime?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

The 11.15 is detailed here:

www.lomprayah.com/surat/surat.html

Vienna
Level Contributor
164 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

oh thank you, now I've found it!

our plane arrives around 9 am. Do you think it makes sense to take the 11:15 from Nathon, or should we wait for the 12:30 from Maenam? I guess the transfer with the bus from the airport to the ferry terminals is free (included in the ferry ticket?)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

It will take you about 40 minutes to get to Nathon and only about 15 minutes to Maenam and yes the transfer can be included unless there is insufficient time in which case you would have to get a taxi and in that case I would go from Maenam as it will be cheaper.

9. Re: arriving at 7am at koh samui, which ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 16, 2014