We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

I have just submitted a review on Haad Yao Bayview and thought I would also put this as a warning on the forum for other people considering staying there.

OMG! Where do we begin...wow, what a terrible hotel this is, in fact, the worst we have ever experienced in our 6 year long travelling the world trip.

We went out for the day in a car hired from Bayview (Big K hire - more on this later) and when we got back we noticed a few things had gone missing from our room including some silver jewellery and 5,000 baht and our smartphone (which we had hidden) was found on the floor of the bathroom; perhaps the thieves/staff were interrupted as the room was only half cleaned. This wasn't a single occurrence as other guests had similar stories to us but with much higher amounts of money stolen. The Police also confirmed they had been called to the Bayview multiple times that week with similar complaints.

So, Big K car and bike hire. They will tell you they are not affiliated with Bayview hotel, but they are - as confirmed by other resort owners we asked. We returned the car to Big K/Bayview after one day's use and the guy in charge (Na) along with Bayview staff claimed we had damaged the car. In fact, there was no possible way we could have damaged it. Na demanded money from us in return for getting our passport deposit back. Any one wanting to rent a bike or a car from Big K/Bayview should stay well away. While we were there arguing about the damage we witnessed him scamming 4 other people for damage on bikes they didn't do. We ended up having to pay the sum of money to get the passport back on the advice of the Tourist Police, who also said they had multiple complaints and we should report it on the internet to let others know to stay away from the place.

When we complained about the theft and the scam on the car hire, the Reception staff yelled at us, actually said they weren't interested and got close to using physical violence even though we were being as polite as we could be. They told us to check out and didn't care about the experience we had or other guests were having at their hotel. We were all 100% sure that these problems/scams were done with the full knowledge of all of the staff and management there.

It really isn't worthwhile staying here, no matter how good a deal you get or how desperate you get for a place to stay or rent a bike/car. Almost every other resort on the island is miles better than this scamming and dishonest place. Anyone saying this place is worth more than 1 star must have been incredibly lucky not to have been targeted....it isn't even worth the 1 star but TripAdvisor won't allow a 0 star rating!

Uploaded pictures show the Big K car hire owned by Bayview and the scammer who runs it.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
372 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

Sad to hear your story. But a quick scroll through the TA reviews and the warnings were there for you see I am afraid. While TA views aren't gospel, they are about the most accurate out there I believe. I stayed in Haad Yao a few years back and we went for a drink there and I can remember what a poor hotel it was then. Obviously things have gotten worse since

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

Sounds like this place should definitely be avoided, thanks for the warning.

Leeds
Level Contributor
224 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

Oh dear we have booked to stay here for 5 nights am a bit worried now

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

Jackev... Can you cancel your reservation without being penalized?

5. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:59 am, March 29, 2013
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

i think the o/p should never have left any valuables in the room, the maids only earn about 300bht a day also maintainance workers come and go so theres a great risk of temptation to take stuff especially if its just left lieing around

theres a safe provided is there not?

as to carhire you NEVER give them your p/port thats illegal

Edited: 5:07 pm, March 18, 2013
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

I was wondering about the passport issue. The hotel is sup[posed to take a copy and return the orginal back to you not hold on to it. I have never heard of that before of them demanding to hold your passport and I myself would refuse to that them keep it.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
372 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

OP, says "in our 6 year long travelling the world" and to make basic errors of judgement is poor in my opinion

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

Regarding leaving valuables in the room, we have friends who have had things stolen from locked safes as staff general have master keys to safes (just in case a customer locks themselves out. We prefer to hide our valuables but obviously didn't do a good enough job!

Also, the passport issue. Yes, we shouldn't have left it but there wasn't any other option with hiring a car or bike. With a hotel as big (and we thought to be professional at the time) as Bayview you don't expect such levels of scamming and dishonesty. Yes, we have been traveling for 6 years and we had a lapse of judgement, my parents were visiting us and they wanted to see the rest of the island. Last year on Samui we had a really good experience with car hire. Hindsight is great and we will never do it again but everyone has judgement lapses at times, we just wanted to make my parents trip a good and memorable one.

All things said and done a scam is still a scam, passport handed over or not, none of this detracts from the fact that people should be made well aware of this dishonest place.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
372 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very bad experience at Haad Yao Bayview

Again, I must repeat, the warning were plain to see on Trip Advisor, with numerous people reporting thefts, poor service, scams etc. And the very fact that it is currently ranked number 55 out of 88 on KP should have set alarm bells ringing, well it would for me. I agree about handing over passports, you should never let anyone keep them, they should all be photocopied.