We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

manchester
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

Cannot decide which each to stay at, in an ideal world I would have a drop dead georgeous beach , like Palolem in goa, with an interesting little village behind, now from what I can gather yai has the former and noi has the latter, we want to stay in a bungalow resort , something like Dreamland or Baan Panburi,can any experts advise please? Thanks.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

I would say Yai would suit you as Noi is mostly expensive 5 star resorts, whereas Yai has more bungalow resorts at more reasonable prices, you can still walk to Noi village in about 20 minutes or grab a taxi and the beach at Yai is still stunning.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

Noi has a nicer beach but overall Yai is the better option in terms of accommodation options. As Cassnu says, you can easily walk between the two.

As for the two resort options, I prefer Dreamland over Baan Panburi as the beach is nicest on that end, but that is just my opinion.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

Thanks all for your advice. Think I will look at Dreamland again...are there song thaw taxi's in the area?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

Yes plenty, and Dreamland runs a minivan taxi service to/from the pier.

brighton
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

I'm glad someone asked this question! I think I'm going to book to stay at the Havana on Yai for 5-6 days over Christmas but the nightlife at Noi looks better. Is the 20 min walk safe at night? It seems to cut through dense woodland.

Would I be looking at a car taxi/tuk-tuk or a watertaxi? Do these run into the evening? And approximate cost of fare please!

What will Christmas be like? I'm travelling alone. I believe there's a Full Moon Party across the island but I want to avoid that kind of shinnanigans.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Havana Beach Resort
Havana Beach Resort
474 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Full Moon Party
Full Moon Party
1,794 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

The dense woodland is the part that you don't walk that's on the rocky outcrop between the two villages, there is a proper road between the two places and songthaew (taxi's) also go between the two. There is low key nightlife at both places, which means chilled bars and restaurants.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

There is no longer much nightlife on Noi due to the five-star resorts. There are some fantastic restaurants, but nearly all beach bars have moved over to Yai.

You can easily make the walk between the two at night if you have a torch, or you can take a taxi.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

On my recent walk through the village behind the beach at Noi I noticed some fairly new, fancy bars - it reminded me of the old days in Samui and I can only imagine what it will be like in another 20 years. There is one particular restaurant that we visit when we come to Thong Nai Pan which is on the far left of the beach as you arrive at Noi Beach, it has a huge swing next to it, never been there are night but imagine it's very pleasant for a few drinks and a nice meal.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

Thank you all for your help , I guess it doesn't matter where we stay, as we can 'commute' between the 2 bays easily.

I suppose I am looking to find a 'Samui of yesteryear' , we used to go there a lot at the end of the 90's , it was fabulous, but for me it became too 'concrete'

I am hoping to spend around 6 nights in Ko Phangan and 6 nights in Ko Tao , I am just trying to work out he travel and which will be easiest to travel to first...

Just one more question, is TNP ok for swimming in June? I originally wanted to go to had salad but I believe it is useless for swimming at that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
508 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thong Nai pan....yai or noi?

It varies each year. This year was not the greatest although it was still better than along the west coast of the island. Last year it was great for swimming.