We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

I am travelling in Thailand with my family mid August and looking to spend a few days on Koh Phangan - but I need to get there from Chiang Mai.

Looking at flying to Bangkok and overnight train to Surat Thani and had a few questions...

1) Is it easier to get from Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang Airport to Hualamphong station (looking at airlines)?

2) Are the combined train and ferry tickets worth a shot or am I better to get ferry tickets at the train station in Surat Thani?

3)Any better ideas on best route down?

All advice welcomed! Thank you

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

Hi,

You can reach Hualamphong from either airport by taxi. However, it is possible to reach the rail station from Suvarnabhumi by a combination of rail link and underground.

You could also consider flying on Air Asia to Surat Thani:

www.airasia.com

Nok Air have a flight/transfer/catamaran combo. It leaves Don Muang at 06.00:

www.nokair.com

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

You could fly from Chiangmai to Samui and then take a ferry.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

Hi,

The option suggested by bbtony is by far the most convenient. Ferry schedules from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan:

http://www.seatrandiscovery.com/

www.lomprayah.com

And, the Haadrin Queen ferry at 16.00 and 18.30.

Ko Pha Ngan...
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

If you do the train, best to sort out the ferry/bus transfer once you arrive in Surat Thani. If you do it beforehand they are most likely to sell you the 'joint ticket' package which is on a very uncomfortable, crowded boat. Best to ask for the Raja ferry upon arriving at the Surat Thani train station, a much more comfortable option.

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

Thanks for the advice everyone..

Decided to do the flight option but to Surat Thani (changing in Bangkok) - much cheaper than Koh Samui! I will sort a ferry ticket out at the airport and have taken note that Raja Ferries are more comfortable.

Will be doing the overnight train to Chiang Mai so hopeing the kids will enjoy the 'experience'...

Can't wait - 20 years since I last visited!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

Lomprayah Ferry is also good and quicker (45 minutes), you can buy the tickets at their booth at the airport.

We've done several train journeys with our kids aged 6 and 8, they love them and always ask for at least one overnight train when we go to Thailand. Take snacks though and water is my advice even though you can buy food on the train and we usually eat dinner before boarding an overnight train as the menu is limited on board and prices quite high.

7. Re: Chiang Mai to Koh Phangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 16, 2013