We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant trekking in Koh Phagnan

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant trekking in Koh Phagnan

We are currently at Koh Phagnan and would like to have a look at the jungle terrain away from the beach and are considering the excursion for elephant trekking. However, we are concerned about the mistreatment of animals and would not like to contribute to that. Can anyone tell us from first hand knowledge if these elephants live under humane conditions and are treated as working animals should be treated? I know this could be a hot topic and there is a great latitude for perspective so would like the view from some of the Koh Phagnan experts. Thank you

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Elephant trekking in Koh Phagnan

Do not go elephant trekking or see an elephant show in Koh Phagnan! I'm ashamed to say I booked a spontaneous elephant tour in Koh Phagnan this past November without doing research on the area. After reading about the non profit elephant sanctuary that my hotel was affiliated with, I was convinced that I was "helping" by booking my appointment. The elephants were stabbed with metal picks for not listening to their trainer!!!! I didn't personally witness the abuse but I saw the trainer get upset, ride the elephant behind a building, after which the elephant let out a heart breaking cry. At the end of our tour we circled the building and saw that same elephant bleeding from the top of his head. ;( It wasnt until I came back that I learned that animals are brought to the south of Thailand for tourist attractions. If you want to see animals in their natural habitat where they are cared for in the most humane way possible, Chiang Mai is where you want to go.

1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Elephant trekking in Koh Phagnan

I drove by an elephant trekking center on the road from ban tai to koh mah and I saw really horrible things there. There was an elephant chaned with his two frontlegs together so he could hardly move. The pain in his eyes was hearthbreaking. When I confronted the man in charge he got really violent. It tears me up that I cant do anything about it. The only thing you can do is not to suport this kind of cruelty. So please everyone save your monney to help somewhere in an elephant shelter or something where you can be near this beautiful creatures aswel and not encourage this kind of horror. Greets Gisela Janssens

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Elephant trekking in Koh Phagnan

This was included in my group your and I had reservations, I didn't want to contribute to any cruelty. My tour leader said that the mahouts don't use the hook things and that they are looked after, to keep an open mind. I did. I got to the place and saw the elephants looked in good condition. However after getting on, my elephant didn't want to walk, the mahout went about motivating the elephant by kicking it's ears instead of padding them with his feet, then we rounded the corner and an elephant was chained up alone, this made me cry, knowing how they are social animals, before long I was sobbing, the mahout used the hook thing by sticking it in the top front of my elephants eat and yanking it. I was devastated, I said stop and take me back. I wrote a review on the company's feedback form for whom I booked my Thai trip with and will never forgive myself. They said that the elephants have to earn keep or be shot by farmers for raging through land to find food....since coming home I have found that the elephants are not indigenous to the island and it's all very wrong. If rather go to chiang mai and help look after them without a ride!

14. Re: Elephant trekking in Koh Phagnan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 17, 2015