We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

Dublin
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

Hi,

Travelling to Koh Phangan in July. Would like to rent a scooter/moped etc. Does anyone know how it works, Do u need to have a international license or any license at all. I defo dont want to give them my passport as deposit, i just wont do it no way!!

and if anyone can tell me good places to rent and wat the costs are?

Thanks Guys :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

You can rent a moped anywhere in Thailand without a licence. The problem is that without an International Driver's Permit (IDP) you would be driving illegally and therefeore ant insurance that you may have would be void if involved in an accident.

As for leaving your passport, some will accempt a photocopy, others insist on the original as security that the moped will be returned in the same condition as it is hired.

Rider beware.

Pics, maps and stories of our trip to Koh Phangan here... www.bobandjanette.com which may help.

Happy & safe travels

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

Rented one last june and they are pretty cheap.

you are always best to have an international license

or your travel insurance will be void and you have no license to ride,so you can also be fined.

nobody really to pull you over on Phangan if you dont have a license.

I couldn't find anywhere to hire one without leaving passport.

I am lucky enough to have 2 passports Australian and British so i leave the one that doesn't have my Thai visa in (British one)when I hire and nobody has ever checked!

If you do hire be aware of the price stated on the hire policy to repair and replace bike or parts.

Some of the prices will be more than the whole holiday cost! One of the biggest is engine failure which may not be the riders fault but will still have to be paid for.

If you leave your passport and have an accident you will have to pay all costs of repairs to both your bike and other vehicles in most cases,so if you have no passport you cant leave until you pay.

That is why most wont accept a photo copy,with your passport in hand they can hold you to all costs leaving you with no option but to pay up before you leave or continue your travels.

If you are not an experienced rider be very careful as some of the roads are very steep with sharp bends on them!

I wouldn't ride an automatic scooter on some of them hills and rely on brakes alone!

Koh samui and Koh Phangan have more motorcycle accidents and deaths than the rest of Thailand all put together!

have fun but be careful.

Dublin
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

Thanks so much for the feedback. That last fact the last post just said has prob made me choose not to get one now, as ive never riden a bike before!

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

Its still good fun for a person that has never riden before.

Dont let me put you off totally.

Automatic scooters can be ok to ride on the flatter roads if you are inexperienced.

Just like a push bike only faster.

Most people come unstuck when a truck or car passes them.

The truck or car will toot its horn to let you know it is going to pass you,problem is there is usually vehicals comming the other way!

This makes some panic and go left off the road on to the sand/gravel shoulder and brake hard, :( :(-

The other main problem is most people on holiday drink and ride with no helmet ,shoes or shirt.

And most Thais drink and drive which doesnt help!

Just hire one for an hour or two,here and there.

Dublin
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

ok sure ill give it a try, if i feel its too dangerous, ill bring it back. Hopefully ill have that chance though :)

Thanks again for the great info!!!

6. Re: Scooter Rental on Koh Phangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, October 18, 2009