We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

Can someone please tell me how to pronounce Pha-Ngan in English? Thanks.

sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

phonetically:

ko pan yang.

2. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:32 am, November 01, 2008
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

"contact: lyvietcranetravel@fpt.vn for information"

Waht, you will tell them how to pronounce it? roflmao.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

Most Thais I heared said "Ko pang yang"

Most European tourists tended to pronounce it "Ko phar nang" which makes it sound a bit more exotic!

I like "Ko pang yang" although before i went i was calling it "Ko phan gang"But all the Europeans I met asked me where that was!

Den

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

The 'Koh' is actually pronounced more with a G sound, Goh.

Phangan - a little difficult for westerners. Paa..

Ngan - the ng part is kind of nasal and is quite like the ng sound in 'singing'

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

Ko Pan Gan - lose the "y" sound as most Brits say Ko Pangyan, and the Thais wonder where on earth they want to go! The "Ko" should be pronounced with a slight G sound as said, so maybe "Goh pang Gan" would be the closest.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,052 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

Here's where you can hear a Thai say it: http://www.learningthai.com/p_south.html (Requires Flash)

8. Re: How do you pronounce Koh Pha-Ngan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, October 12, 2009