We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! bus travel

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Help! bus travel

A group of us want to travel by bus from Bangkok to Koh Phangan. We have read the several warnings about private buses but does that go for Lomprayah and seatran??? Also is there any way to purchase government bus and ferry combined tickets online?

koh phangan
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! bus travel

Hi,

Look at my link

www.phangan-guide.com/english/index.php…

Bye

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! bus travel

I think the Lomprayha and seatran would be fine.

You should always keep your valuables on your person and split any cash you have to different places on you, on any bus trip.

I prefer the look of Lomprayha to Seatran, only trouble is ,if you go back to BKK the same way Lompryha gets into BKK around midnight.

If you do get the combo ticket it might be best to get a train to Hou Hin then jump on the coach there.

Seatran shows this option on their website but I could only find a combo ticket with just coach/ferry.

I am in my mid 40,s and would have no trouble doing the trip this way neither would my wife,but after useing the ferries while on Phangan and Samui in June I think Lomprayha is better.The coaches will be the same though.

Have you looked into the 24 seat VIP coach trips from BKK to Surathani?

I looked at awebsite before I went this year but cant remember the address sorry.

I think people have a bit more trouble with the private coaches organized around Kaosan road.

If you ask me,If you are not going to Samui first then the trip from Suratahni to Phangan is a bit of a long one,espesially after the long bus ride from BKK.

Next year we will be doing the Lomprayha one to Phangan but will be flying back to BKK.( unless I am told not to)

Not many people seem to talk about doing Phangan this way,so perhaps it isnt as good as it looks? All I know is Chomphorn is a lot closer to BKK than Suratahni,so looks a good choice for going direct to Phangan or Tao.

den

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! bus travel

Hi,

And what about the train? Night train might be a nice option?

Please check my Blog post, "From Bangkok to Koh Phangan" for all available options:

…blogspot.com/2008/08/from-bangkok-to-koh-ph…

Cheers and enjoy,

Greg

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! bus travel

I did the train combo back from Samui in June,We got picked up at the hotel around 10 am and arrived in BKK around 7am the next morning.

I cant speak for doing the Train combo going to Phangan but I would think the time taken would be the same,and although you sleep on the train so save on a nights accomodation,its still takes a big chunk out of your day getting from Suratahni to Phangan or Samui.

So it took us a total of around 21 hours to get from Samui hotel to Bkk station doing the sleeper.

The reason I was looking at doing it by coach /ferry next time is because its only around 12 hours.

As I said though ,not many people are talking much about the coach/ferry combo so may not be any good?

I will have to try it on one of the legs next year.

You still cant beat flying into Samui with BKK air

though.

I think some travelers are not really aware of the time and distance by land fromm Bkk to Samui and Phangan

Den

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! bus travel

Thanks very much the responses

we only need a one way ticket as we are heading to samui later, then phuket which will be by plane. The bus option seems like the best thing for us to do apart from flying which we are trying to avoid.

I am tossing up between lombrayah and seatran, seatran seems to be cheaper, but which bus is more comfortable?

Does anyone know where i can find a timetable for the government buses? the transport company website cannot to be translated into english. I was hoping for a later bus though, around 11pm.

I found a website that lists times for all buses but it seems that even though the government bus takes a little longer there doesnt seem to be any waiting time so u get to koh phanganm earlier, Lomprayah showed about a 2hr gap between arriving at the port and getting onto the bus, how accurate is that?

backpackersthailand.com/kohphangantravel.php…

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! bus travel

sorry i meant to say arriving at the port and getting onto the boat that takes u to koh phangan

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! bus travel

Lomprayha I think must be more on the ball!

With the 2 hour wait they have allowed for late arrival of the coach, and knowing Thai roads and the state of some of the transport it is highly likely that the coach wont be on time.

Lomprayha only do 2 ferry sevices a day via the islands so if you missed the first it would be a very long wait for the next, so its better to be at the pier nice and early.

They have a tight scheduel because they have to pick up and drop off at Koh tao and Koh Phangan for Samui and the same on the return

so they wouldnt be able to wait too long if a coach was late getting to the pier.

Did you check out the 24 seat VIP coaches?

There is some pretty good info on www.sawadee.com about the types of transport and timtables,you have to look hard though as I found it a bit hard to find.

There is some great quality coaches used in Thailand

and there are some that are not so flash.

Den

Koh Phangan
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! bus travel

Informations on this website too:

www.koh-phangan.de/index.php?page=bus_en

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,055 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! bus travel

It's so stupid that the Transport Company put up a new website without any English. To find the bus schedules for the south, select the 3rd item from the left on the horizontal menu bar across the top of the homepage: ตารางเวลาเดินรถ. Then, click the fourth menu item of the page that comes up: ภาคใต้.

This will give you the times and fares of bus services to the south.

Lomphraya is a reputable company. Their services to Koh Phangan are recommended.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,055 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! bus travel

Arrgh! I forgot to give you the URL for the Transport Company website! http://www.transport.co.th/