We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
13 posts
Save Topic
Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

hi peeps, i am arriving in Bangkok on 10th oct (after a 3 week tour of vietnam and cambodia) - we have booked up for 1 night accomodation in Bangkok and plan to go straight to Koh Phangan on the 11th. Can anyone please advise me on the best way to get there? How expensive is it to fly to Koh Samui then get the ferry over? We want to be on the island for the full moon party (schedueled for 14th)- how long do the trains take? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Also, doea anyone know the rules and regs regarding arriving in Bangkok - we drive into Bangkok and after touring the islands we will fly from Bangkok to Sydney. I have heard we will need to buy our flight ticket to Syd before we arrive in Bangkok? Is this correct? We have no time constraints so would like to tour Thailand until we decide to move on?

Thanks

juls :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

My friend lives in Thailand and goes back and forth on one way tickets or return tickets(the cheapest) bought in Thailand or Australia,so I dont think you need a ticket out ot of Thailand before they let you enter like a lot of counties, or he wouldnt be allowed to get a one way from Perth ,which he sometimes does.

Quickest way to go is fly,around 3000+bht but some early and late flights are cheaper.

Flying for a cheaper price to Suratani is not worth the hassel in my mind.

Ferry to Phangan from Samui is 250 bht on special with "Lomprayha fast ferry" which includes pickup from your hotel in Samui to the pier.

On return from Phangan to Samui it includes pick up from Samui pier and transport to your hotel in Samui.

On Phangan you have to pay for transport to and from the pier in Tongsala,200 +bht.

If you want to ferry direct to Haad Rin from Samui,then I think the only service is Haad Rin Queen from Big Buddah,which is less frequent than the others leaving from Maenam.

Sleeper train combo ticket is good but takes around 12 hours,you get picked up at Suratani,ferry to Samui and transport to your hotel in Samui.Not sure if they do the combo direct to Phangan.

Look up "Seatran ferries" and have a look at the coach/ferry to Phangan via Chomphorn and koh tao, This looked a good option and I would have done it this way if I hadnt already bought the train combo.

Seatran and Lomprayha both do the service to and from Bangkok at different times.Lomprayha have newer faster cat ferries,which I would choose.

Have fun,Den.

koh phangan
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

Hi Juls,

Look at this link and it's up to date

http://www.phangan-guide.com/english/

At this heading : To get here and after at To get there (boat, plane, bus)....

Have a nice day

Steve

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

Is it a good idea to book the boats and ferries from Koh Samui to Koh Pha Ngan in advance? Or is it very easy to just get the tickets while there without paying too much more?

northern california
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

i also recommend seatran, which leaves from kao san road. go to seatrandiscovery.com to book the bus/boat combo, it should only be about 800 baht. i booked about a week in advance.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

From Samui to Pha Ngan, no need to book prior. You can book when you are there. There are transfer boats to these islands many times a day.

6. Re: Best way to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan?!?!?!?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 04, 2009