We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire on kp

Scotland
Level Contributor
313 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
car hire on kp

8 of us arriving 10th July for 6 nights at Milky Bay resort and thoight we might hire a couple of jeeps for a few days to get about. Have just spoken to someone who has returned from there and it seems that insurance cover is difficult to arrange????? Don't want to hire without cover. Anyone know any reputable companies out there?

Thanks

Feebib

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire on kp

I have just got back this month and hireing can be a nightmare with no insurance available and the prices for fixing little misshaps.

Everything has to be brought from the mainland if you have a bingle and costs a premium,even a puncture can cost 1200 bht.

You have to sign a form that says you cannot get the vehical repaired on the side road and must pay the hirers price that is listed on the contract which is pretty high.It lists everything including replacment of engin?

you have to leave your passport when hireing so they have you over a barrel if somthing does go wrong.

It is illegal to demand you leave your passport as security because while overseas by law you must carry it with you.But try getting a vehical without leaving your passport!

Best to hire one from the hotel/resort you are staying at,may be a bit more expensive but less chance of getting stung a lot of money for somthing small.

Vehicals arnt always in the best of condition so you have to do a thorough check,any damage not put on the contract that you notice later may cost you.

I only hired a moterbike and the contract scared me,I took vidio footage of it so there could be no arguments later.

Saying all this the locals are pretty layed back and would possibly not hold you to much unless it was major.But dont take any chances they know you cant fly home without your pasport and think we are all rich.

Den

koh phangan
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire on kp

Hi Feebib,

I live here.

Even if the hirer tell you that you have a full insurance, you are not covered for the damages that you can make.

If you break something ! You must pay !

Remember that.

Cheers,

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire on kp

Also if you dont have an "International"drivers licence and have an accident it is deemed your fault even if it wasnt as you must be licenced to drive on Thai roads.

They dont even want to see your licence when hiring,its up to you to be licenced.

Den

4. Re: car hire on kp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ko Pha Ngan