We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do you travel around koh phangan? easy?

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how do you travel around koh phangan? easy?

Hi,

I'm heading to Koh phangan for 10 days in September and hopefully staying at Haad Salad as i'd like a bit of a chill out and choose to go elsewhere when i want something more lively.

I really want to be able to explore the island - go on treks to the waterfalls and see some of the other beaches etc. Is it going to be easy to get around the island? whats the best way of doing this?

Also, I've been reading things about the west coast that swimming is good between november and april - what about september? I want to swim and snorkel and possibly dive.

Any advice really welcome!

Thanks,

Annie x

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how do you travel around koh phangan? easy?

Hello,

Most of the hotels lay on free tranport to Hat Rin in the form of sitting in the back of an open back pick up truck. Be warned though, the road to Hat Rin from the north west is like being on a roller coaster! Its definitely a memorable journey but not one for the faint hearted, great views though. When the full moon party is the police set up road blocks all around hat rin and will stop and search vehicles and people.

The road to Thongsala past Ban Tai is a pretty good one. You can get a moped for a few baht, its probably the best way to get round. Past Thongsala, can't remember exactly where, the tarmac road ends and turns into a steep dirt track that Evil Kinevil would probably find difficult to negotiate on a bike! 4x4 are about £15 for 24hrs, just let them photocopy your passport and you're away. You could probably have now arms and be blind and they'd still let you have one.

I can't comment on the east coast as I didn't get that far. Hope this helps

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how do you travel around koh phangan? easy?

What jimmac says applies to the east coast too, except most of the residents are equipped with two-way radios so they can warn their friends (read bungalow operators and others) that a "raid" is on the way from Thong Sala. But, back to the question. K.P.G. is still after all these years a nightmare to just "truck" around as in Samui. You need to be particularly adept if an experienced motorcyclist, the pothole will swallow you up as you don't know where you are going north to south anyway. I'd say the boat (small longtail) that pops around the island, well Hat Rin to Thong Nai Pan, and using songthaews from Thong Sala is the best way to go.Basically the island is not set up for independant transportation yet and not for a while in the future if wanting to go anywhere you wish to.

London
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do you travel around koh phangan? easy?

ok, thanks so much for those replies.

I don't think i'd be up for a moped...but if i wanted to go to the centre / east to check out some of the waterfalls is it going to be possible? I think we'll be staying at had yao - would we get a boat from there? And if not, would it be safe to travel in a truck as mentioned above?

THanks,

Annie x

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how do you travel around koh phangan? easy?

The transportation is safe in the pickups is just not what we're used to in the uk ie. sitting in the back of a 4x4 driving along steep roads. The mopeds seem a bit daunting at first but they are real fun. Its just point and go.

I'm not sure about getting to the centre of the island. You'll probably be best organising a trip through your hotel, although they will charge through the nose.

Good luck

5. Re: how do you travel around koh phangan? easy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 06, 2009