We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private driver

Midlands
Level Contributor
258 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
private driver

Hello, We are a family of three with a 11 year old child and will be arriving in Koh Phangan in August 2018. It's our first time to Koh Phangan and Koh Samui but we have visited Phuket/Phi Phi Islands twice before. On both occasions in Phuket, we have hired a private driver for about 6 hours and he has taken us around all of the usual sights etc. The cost of this was 1,500 Baht.

We are staying up in Thong Nai Pan Noi for 4 nights (3 full days). Are there any private drivers in that area that could take us out for a bit of sight seeing or has Koh Phangan not got that many places to visit compared to Phuket. I don't feel like driving myself as i think that is too much trouble.

If not a driver, I have read that you can hire a longtail boat off the beach and they will take you to Bottle Beach, is this worth a visit or is it no better than Thong Nai Pan Noi beach.

I know we are only there for three full days and we could quite easily sit by the pool and beach for the three days and relax before heading to Koh Samui, but we wouldn't want to miss out on some special places to visit.

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: private driver

It is very easy to find a private taxi/driver to take you around the island. Most resorts can organise this or ask the owner at La Hacienda (Mexican restaurant).

Midlands
Level Contributor
258 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: private driver

cheers mate

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: private driver

Just to add about the Long tail boats, it's worth a trip, obviously if the weather is good, but perhaps consider going further than just Bottle beach... head to Chalokum or ever around to Maehaad or Haad Salad beaches and back.

Stop for lunch some where. The drivers are usually very accommodating... the further you go the more you pay.. negotiate before leaving, but it's a nice way to see the northern ends of KP.

Midlands
Level Contributor
258 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private driver

Cheers Jim, Mae Haad looks great with that little sand walk way.

How much do you think they would charge to go there, we have never hired a long tail before.

Thanks

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: private driver

Hi grayukMidlands Midlands, can't help with phangan but for Koh samui we used samui explorer when we were there in sept.

We arranged a private tour of the island, a trip to Angthong national park and a return trip from airport to hotel all booked while we were in uk.

All prices were really reasonable and Michelle was great from samui explorer.

We're going back to samui in June then on to phangan and will be booking with them again while we're in Samui. Would be great to find a company like that for when we're in Phangan too.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: private driver

Hello GrayUKmidlands!

It's 7 or 8 years since we went from Chaloklum to TNP, We started off by just wanting to go to Bottle beach, and asked the driver to take us to TNP.... I seem to remember it was 1000 baht plus another 200 baht because we added the extra beach...(fair enough) if I remember it might have been 4 or 5 hours in total, including a lunch stop for an hour on bottle beach. At TNP we hand enough time to walk between the two beaches along a board walk.

You don't need a organized tour operator for something like this, just ask the long tail boat guys... they do it all the time. How much prices have changed I don't know, it may partly depend on how hungry they are! Their English may be a little limited, but usually enough to get by.

Only do this if weather seems to be good.... I do remember it being a worthwhile trip. There was only the two of us in the Long tail boat.

Hope that helps a little!

Midlands
Level Contributor
258 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: private driver

Thanks Jim, that is great help and info, i fancy the idea of a boat now.

Also thanks Athena for the tip on Koh Samui, I will look them up and see what they offer.

Reply to: private driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted