We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Cove or Milky Bay?

Tassie family
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Cove or Milky Bay?

We are trying to choose between Sunsre Cove and Milky Bay Resort for a 5 night break with our teenage (14 years) daughter in September. We will have come from Koh Samui where we are staying at Poppies. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Sunset Cove appears cheaper, but what is the beach like, and is it too isolated? We want peace, but accessibility to other restaurants and markets, etc. Beachfront location is a priority too!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Cove or Milky Bay?

I havent heard of Sunset Cove but Milky Bay was AWESOME... it was out of the way but not too isolated... I felt the taxi to town was pricey for the resort, considering it was just a staff member dropping you in one of the vehicles however if you could find a good tuk tuk on Day 1 and have him on call it would probably work out cheaper. In all honesty though we didnt head to town much as we used Milky Bay as a real lazy beach holiday.

My son was 13 (almost 14) and he loved it. He did get a bit bored at times but only because he is sports mad and the Ashes were on at the time (which werent shown at the resort). We tried to go to Haad Rin on a free day and it happened to be a day that the whole island turned off the electricity for the whole day!!!! He wasnt too impressed! The only bar on the island showing it didnt run on generator!

The restaurant is not pricy (pricy compared to what we were used to at the time) but looking back it wasnt. Chiang Mai was just exceptionally cheap and we had just arrived from there!!! The food was amazing there - we loved it.

Internet was expensive (again compared to Chiang Mai) however a few places did it half the price in Thong Sala. When organising tours just organise them anywhere - it seems that they are all advertising the same few tours... we couldnt find alot of different ones! Ask around for the one tour that goes direct to Ang Thong Marine National Park for snorkelling (its with a diving company located on the other side of the island). Most go via Samui which is unnecessary. We cant remember the name of the company but despite the weather (read about our bad experience in our blogs) the staff were excellent and had the weather not be so bad it would of been a great day. It seemed to be the only company that did it direct. The shop we booked it through was right next door to a tattoo shop on the left hand side of the main street of Thong Sala (facing the ferry pier) ... so if you are walking down the main street towards the ferry pier it is on your left hand side... and it wasnt too far from the Pier.... maybe 200 m (I am a bad judge of distance) but the tattoo shop was next door (furtherest away from the pier).... The tour we went on was run by a dive shop owned by a thai lady (dont think there is many of them on Ko Phangan)....

The gym didnt look like the photos - it was old and rundown but the rest was just beautiful. The bar is great and has two pool tables for when you are super bored, there was a table tennis table and service right on the beach for the best cocktails! Try a nonalcoholic pineapple and lime shake.. the best in thailand!

Our room was basic but nice.... the toilet was a bucket and scoop on a western toilet (hand flush) but I dont know if all the rooms are like that... I have a feeling some are totally western.

I have some photos at my blogs - just look for the ko pha-ngan blogs at www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet - they are on Page 2. Otherwise I have a stack more on CD if you want some just private email me your home email addy and I will forward some more on.

I highly recommend Milky Bay Resort.... It was a beach paradise!

Reet xx

Tassie family
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Cove or Milky Bay?

Wow Reet,!!

Thank you so much for the information on Milky Bay!! It does sound like the kind of place we are looking for. We were at Railay Beach last year and that will be very hard to beat! We are also off to Cambodia, so any tips will be appreciated there too. We are spending 3 nights in Phnom Penh and 5 nights in Siem Reap. We have chosen FCC hotels in both places.I will definitely look up your blog site and would love to see some more photos. Not sure how I get you my address. Do I post it on this site? The day trip info is terrific too. Cheers, Posie x

N Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Cove or Milky Bay?

Hi We stayed at the Milky Bay resort last July and had a bungalow right on the beach. It is a great resort with all the usual pool , snooker bar etc on site etc and really lovely staff, Only thing is it is 10mins by car outside the main town but you can always get taxi in and costs so little.

4. Re: Sunset Cove or Milky Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 30, 2009