We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

We are debating completing our intro PADI open water course, either in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta, any suggestions on which is the better destination for this?

We have March 26 - April 1 to split between the two islands.

Thanks!

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

The PADI open water course takes 4 days. Diving schools on Koh Lanta do open water dives around Koh Phi Phi or Koh Haa, whereas those on Phi Phi do it around the isles. The first 2 days are in confined water only or in swimming pools, beside classroom lessons.

Sint-Oedenrode, The...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

I Have been on both locations. Phi Phi is a bid more crowded, Lanta a more family Island. Lanta is bigger so depending on the shop/school you will get there more often the pool to start instead of the beach. Both are fun places to stay. Phi Phi is a true island and more isolated so all good incl most food needs to be shipped there so my experience it’s a bid more expensive. I would look more to the reputation of the school than the location.

Have fun with your training.

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

We have just don ours at ko Tao , 4 day course with free accomdation around £170 . The company's called big blue diving

Some place
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

I would not be so concerned about the place where to take the certificate but would certainly be concerned about the instructor I am trusting my life. We were a family of 4 taking our open water PADI certificate with Flip Flop Divers at Koh Lanta. We are going back in April and will dive again with this company. They are not just instructors, they are your closest family when under the surface. You can check all the great reviews on TripAdvisor. There are 132 reviews and Ady is a fantastic instructor and you will feel comfortable with him. Have a safe journey.

T W
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Koh Tao is also good. And I agree, the diving insitution, especially the instructor is definitely a huge factor.

6. Re: PADI Certification in Koh Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2017