We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

Dubrovnik, Croatia
2 posts
Save Topic
The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

Hey,

i am going to visit Thailand between 12. and 28. of January with my fiance.We are young engaged couple and are seekuing for a peaceful holiday in a good, not too expensive hotel by the beach. We have heard that the Phuket is too noisy but just after we have already made a non ref reservation in Phuket for 7 days, 21.-28.01. However we still have 7 days to plan and to make out of it a nice calm stay on some nice beach. I have only doubts regarding the weather, because on the forecast says that it will be cloudy for whole 7 days in phuket so we want to go somewhere sunny. Is it better to choose Ko Lanta or Ko Samui/ Phangan ?

Thank you

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

Hi

In jan you will have better weather in west coast ( Phuket krabi , koh lanta etc) as it is their dry season. In koh samui, koh Tao and koh phangan ( east coast ) jan the weather often hit and miss as it is tail ends of rainy season.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

I am in Koh Lanta as I write this reply :) the weather has been beautiful for the last 3 days- really hot about 35 degrees plus

We are staying at the Peace Paradise resort and it is lovely, right on the beach with things to do nearby

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

If it's between Lanta or Koh Samui then koh lanta would be the better option as it will have better weather but I woud also check out Khao Lak as it's also more relaxing than Phuket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

Koh Lanta for sure in January. Samui will be in its rainy season.

Have a look at Koh Chang before you book anything.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

Thank you all!

The only thing that worried me was the accuweather forecast for andaman coast ( Krabi, Phuket ) which says that 14 cloudy days are expecting us! Apparently there is only clouds between 14 - 28.01., but it is hot ( 23 - 30 degrees ). Can this be?

Meanwhile at Ko Phangan/ Ko Samui it is supposed to be sunny and temperatures around 20 - 27 degrees )

If anybody is at the moment visiting mentioned places please advise us.

And if anybody knows will we enjoy Krabi or Krabi is also something like Phuket? Since we saw that there are many daily excursions from Krabi at a reasonable price ( Phuket has double the prices for their excursions and it seems that there are not so many of them also ) and the hotels in Krabi are not so expensive too.

Thank you for all your help!

It is highly appreciated :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

When I was there last week, the weather was brilliant. Hot but not terribly humid. But I would see that Koh samui was stormy & raining. So Koh Lanta is better weather. I had only one evening of about 30mins of rain as it was very humid that day.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

I am in koh Samui now and we have have had quite a bit of overcast weather . Yesterday was our best day out of 4. We were here for a wedding so no choice. Off to Koh Lanta today so good to here it is better there.

Amroth
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

Been in koh phangnan last few days and koh Tao today and its been overcast with a bit a rain most of the time. Crossing this morning Saturday from ko panngnan to koh Tao very very rough many being sick. Going to give samui a miss and head straight for koh lanta Tuesday morning by ferry and bus. Hope ses is calmer and sunny at lanta

9. Re: The weather in January : Ko Lanta or Ko Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 21, 2015